Author Topic: Transition to toddler bed? At what age did you make the change???  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
My son is 17  mos. old (almost 18 mos).  He still is NOT climbing out of his crib, but he is a very catious child anyhow.  We have been having major issues with night time waking (about  4 times).  When he wakes he stands up and holds on to the side of his crib.  He screams and crys and then drops his blanket and trys to reach down for it (I know this because we have a vidoe monitor).

Anyhow I was thinking of making the transition to a toddler bed.  I thought maybe he felt "confined" and did not like it????

When did you make the transistion and did it seem to complicate things?

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Transition to toddler bed? At what age did you make the change???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 16:43:40 pm »
We made the transition at 2 years old for Ewan and will do the same with Bram. 

Is he waking at night because he is banging into the sides and stuff?  How tall is he?  Does he seem too big for the crib?

I would say that at his age if you move him then he will still throw his blanket out but now will be able to get out to get in and possibly wander around. 

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 16:51:35 pm »
We made the transition at 15 months , the reason we did it so early is because Ryan had a very bad reflux flare up and associated his cot with pain , it was getting harder to settle him in there .The transition for us was easy as Ryan wasn't really mobile , he was bottom shuffling . We put his cot matress on the floor incase he fell out of bed . Still to this day he doesn't get out of bed at night  ;D
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:55:46 am »
Thanks!  He has not outgrown his crib, so I think we are going to wait a while.  No need to rush it.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:27:09 am »
we did it at 26mo for ds#1 & 19mo for ds#2 (having a few issues at week 3 -but more for other reasons not the bed) due to him being tall (3ft+) & needing to be in a bed for Holiday as he is too tall for a pack & play + climbed out 1 week after we did the transition... put him in to extend an early wake up.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mikiweiser

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • finally a tummy pic- Adi at 5 months
    • Highschool Alumni Site
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:57:36 pm »
We did at at around 18 months - and only because he did a sky dive out of the crib and it was no longer safe - if your son is still in diapers, and sleeps well in the crib - don't make a change, if you want to give him independance and the ability to use the bathroom, come to you in the mornings, than do make the change. if you are potty traing than i highly recommend changing to a big boys bed... :)