Author Topic: Cycle times - short activity and long naps?...  (Read 1126 times)

Offline nickzeff

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • :)
    • Photos of Izzy
Cycle times - short activity and long naps?...
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:25:32 am »
Hi everyone,

As a daddy trying to get his LO into EASY, I have a question about cycle times.

I have a little 8 week old. According to SOTBW she needs about 15-18 hours of sleep per 24 hours.

So I guess that means she should be awake for at least 6 hours a day. She doesn't seem to make that target at all, and only seems to be awake for about 4-5 hours a day (I have worked this out as all times when she is eating, active or winding down).

During the day she wakes up (or I wake her up), drinks her formula and is full within about 15 minutes. We then have an activity period which never last more than about 20-30 minutes. We then wind down.

In order to get at least 3 hours between feeds (she used to be a snacker but I'm trying to get her out the habit), I just let her sleep for about 2 hours each cycle, since her activity time is so short.

Does this pattern sound normal?

If she wakes up early ie. after an hour and is rooting, what should I do? Should I try and get her back to sleep - even though she has got a good hour already? Should I feed her? Even though it's only been 2 hours? I don't want to become a clock watcher, but I prefer to give it a good 3 hours per cycle.

I hope I've expressed myself ok here.

Thanks.

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: Cycle times - short activity and long naps?...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 11:38:07 am »
hi and welcome

always nice to have some Dads here :)

I think she sounds PERFECTLY normal. for 8 weeks maintaining 3 hrs routine is pretty hard. feeding every 2,5hrs or so is not that unusual. SO if she wakes early from her nap and you believe she is hungry from watching her cues- do feed her. the point of EASY routine is not feeding babies by the clock but teaching them independent sleeping and that eating is not related with sleep.
if you're worried she's sleeping too much, don't. she's obviously not ready for longer activity times yet.

from what you've written it looks like you're doing really great. keep up the good job :)

Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline nickzeff

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Photos of Izzy
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 13:08:34 pm »
Thanks Monika for your lightening reply!

That really helps to get external confirmation like that.

Thanks also for the compliments, but Izzy's mum is the one that is doing great - I'm just trying to support and help as much as I can.

We're just following the BW stuff and using a bit of instinct too. The BW ideas seem much more doable and natural than when we tried to enforce a rigid schedule before. And our lives changed when we tried swaddling again. She sometimes looks as if she doesn't like being constrained in the blanket, but most of the time she looks so relaxed and happy snuggled up. This really helped extend her nap times.

Thanks again,

N

Offline *Mona*

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 13:50:23 pm »
:)
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs

Offline Easter Lily

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 05:55:29 am »
I too have a sleepy 4 week old baby... I can't keep her up for a full hour all the time. Sometimes I can and other times she's already yawning after 45 minutes. I'm afraid to keep her up longer and have even more problems.

Offline *Mona*

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 07:58:34 am »
hi there. at 4 weeks you really can't expect an hour of activity from your baby every time! I know this is the guidline but most of the babies never make it that long. so 45 minutes is perfectly ok. you're doing great  :-*
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs

Offline Easter Lily

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:39:18 am »
Thanks... it's reassuring... I shouldn't complain really. I have a child that naps well with some help. Most people here seem to worry that their child is not sleeping enough.  ;D

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 12:45:21 pm »
Nick and Easter Lily,

You guys are both doing great!  I agree with monika 100%, it's hard for 4 week olds to do what the textbooks say. Sounds like you both have great babies with great parents doing things very well!

:-*

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline nickzeff

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • Photos of Izzy
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:24:16 am »
Thanks Beca!

N