Author Topic: 4 HR EASY Question and How Much???  (Read 1379 times)

Offline west2west

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 05, 2006, 18:53:16 pm »
My LO is coming up on 5 months.  When he hit 4 months we were all over the place from 3HR EASY to 3.5HR EASY.  Then last week I finally realized that he needs to move to a 4HR EASY however, the last couple of days I've been feeding him WAY too much.  I'm not sure how much he should be getting at each feeding.  I understand that you take their weight and multiply it by 2.0 or 2.5 ozs and that's how much they should be eating.  I made the mistake during the last two days in pushing 8ozs 4 times a day.  He drained the bottles but he's the type to keep eating as long as the milk is flowing. 

A month ago he weighed 14lbs 6ozs. and I was BFing part-time and now I'm close to feeding him formula exclusively. So, not sure how much he weighs but with me forcing more on him he feels and looks like he's 16 or 17lbs now!!!!!!  YIKES!  (Sorry if this isn't coming out clearly...)  My question is, should I go by his 4 month weight in terms of figuring out how much formula to feed him? 

Offline Mom2Jesse

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 20:23:05 pm »
Hi

Usually the way to work out how much you should feed is 150ml - 180ml per kilo. So if your baby weighs 8 kilograms, that 1200ml -  1440ml per 24 hours. divided by how ever many feeds he has in a day.

I'd work it out to how much he weighs now, not how much he weighed a month ago..

Good luck !!

Sam

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: 4 HR EASY Question and How Much???
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 07:31:11 am »
Hi there

The fact that your LO is draining bottles means you need to increase them by 1oz per bottle (only daytime bottles), the 'foruma' to figure out how muck formula to offer him is only a general guide. You should raeally be following his cues.

8 - 9oz over 4 bottles does not sound unrealistic.

HTH's
Lauren x

Offline west2west

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 20:37:45 pm »
Thanks ladies for your help.  I just feel that he is getting really big/over weight.  If he spits up a lot, isn't that a sign that it's too much?  Do you recommend feeding him 7-8ozs in the beginning part of the day and then tapering down later in the evening? 

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 15:36:31 pm »
Calum takes 10oz in his morning bottle + milk in his breakie then 14oz for his bedtime bottle. He still loves his milk  :D
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 16:05:48 pm »
I give him as much as he want before his bath (about 7oz) then after his back I top up the bottle to make up 14oz  ;)
Lauren x

Offline west2west

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 19:15:00 pm »
Sounds good.  Are any of your LOs on rice cereal already?  If so, I'm not sure how I incorporate this into his bottle feedings.  And do you think it's necessary?

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 17:44:56 pm »
Nikkirwest.

The guidelines today, is that it is not recommended that you introduce solids until you baby is six months old as their tummies are still quite sensative.

When you do introduce solids you have to remember that this is just their first tasters, and that until they are 1 year of age their milk is still their main source of nutrician.

If you do decide to introduce any tasters, it is probably best to do it mid morning, to ensure your lo does not have any reactions to it.

HTH.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

shimzy

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 15:05:31 pm »
8 or 9 oz bottles? my gosh, I just dont know. My son was like that at that age but my daughter - oh my goodness, Im lucky if she is regularily takes the same amount, which can be anywhere from 2-6 oz per feed. Our EASY is all over the place right now (she's 13wks). At first we though 3.5 and then she would refuse feeds so we moved to 4 hour but her awake times just werent there.....so now its more of a 3.25 - 3.5 (sleep/eat) schedule......guh!

I guess though she's going through some developmental things, rolling over (she did yesterday!) and doing really well in the strength department and talking so much. I suppose like my son once in a 4 hour easy things will settle and she'll be ok. I just know that starting solids too early with my little girl will cause her to eat less formula - which she's not eating in large amounts anyway. I got off topic didnt I? well anyway, I would only dream that my daughter could eat 8 oz in one sitting.. lol