Author Topic: Ideas for birthday party  (Read 908 times)

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Ideas for birthday party
« on: September 02, 2007, 19:56:00 pm »
I am getting apprehensive about organising a birthday party for DS, who will be turning 3 in November. Our house is too small to accommodate lots of people so we are looking for an outside venue.There are plenty of places that do events but nothing feels small and intimate enough.

Also, what sort of activities/games/food would be appropriate ?

I don't feel relaxed about the whole thing because lots of the kids we would be inviting would be DS's playmates from nursery. I see the kids every day and I speak briefly with the parents, sometimes we bump into them at the beach/pool/park but I don't know them that well so there is an element of performance anxiety as well and wanting things to be right

TIA

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Ideas for birthday party
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 19:00:36 pm »
admittedly, i know nothing about the weather where you are... is it likely to be cold & miserable in november?  if not, perhaps a park?  you could do an entire picnic theme.  hold it mid-morning or later after naptime, and you won't have to do a full-on meal, just snacks.

since you won't be at home, cupcakes will be way easier than a single large cake.  there are all sorts of nifty designs you could do.

and since you are having performance anxiety  :P i'd suggest inviting a good friend or relative (whether she has a child or not) to come & help with all the party stuff & keeping you sane.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Chantel03

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 19:06:40 pm »
If it's not cold a bbq in the park would be easy.  That's what we did for T.  I made all the salads the night before had the dh bbq, and the kids played.  We had a pinata, and I made little car cakes, and let the kids decorate them.

If its cold what about a place that does the work for you.  T's 2nd b-day was a chuckie cheese, and they do all the work.  Makes it easier if you are having a lot of people. 
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 19:23:35 pm »
Could you look into hiring a soft play area.  Look at leisure centres - they sometimes have kid's facilitys
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 21:10:50 pm »
Soft play areas are always good.

How about any groups you attend, like Monkey Music or a Messy Play group?  You could hire a smallish hall and get them to prepare a party for you.  I did crafts for Ryans birthday and it was very sucessful, just got the Messy Play group to do a bunch of themed crafts (we had a farm party) and then let the kids just get messy!  We didn't do any games but pass the parcel is always a good one, as is a pinata (you can get the drawstring ones). Musical statues good be fun too.