Author Topic: Transition from activity to sleep  (Read 831 times)

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: February 20, 2007, 22:51:33 pm »
Hi all, i would really like to hear your recommendations and suggestions. my 10 week old ds has had some problems napping over the last few weeks and i think i have found the cause of the problem.

i need to extend his activity time a little longer which i am going to try tomorrow. i have been looking up some activities but id love to hear about any fun activies your lo's loved.

also i understand about sleep cues but i think i may have been misinterpreting them as i have been putting him down too early thinking he was tired. i try to judge when he is beginning to go from calm to hyper and if i see a yawn i go to transtition into the 4 s wind down. am i doing this wrong? should i wait a little longer and if so do i run the risk of overstimulation/overtiring.

when did you find the best point to put your lo's down for a nap and what body language where they exhibiting?

thanks in advance

:) :) :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Transition from activity to sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 02:51:36 am »
I hate saying this as it's such a non-answer, but it really depends on your LO.  Some babies are great if you tuck them in at the first yawn, with others it's way too late already.  With both my dds if I wait until they yawn it's already too late and they're really hard to get down as they're overtired.  The first few months are tough, once you think you know their schedules, they get a little older, can stay up a little longer and everything is different.  If putting him down at the first yawn is working for you, then I would stick with it.  If you need to extend activity time, try going into his room, dimming the lights, and just playing very quietly with him.  My nearly 4 month old dd loves it when I sing songs to her (with lots of facial expressions) -- though it he starts looking away from you, he's probably overstimulated.  Try showing him a small toy (though not too small), encourage him to touch it, grab it (though he won't be able to just yet) -- touch his hands with it, things like that.  If he "talks" to you, talk back with a normal conversational rhythm.  Try a little foot massage (my dd LOVES this, you should see the smiles!). 

With my dd, I put her down for a nap when I see her start to turn away from more stimulating things (turning away from the window to stare at the couch), sometimes I notice that she's moving around less -- she also rubs her face with her hands and tries to suck on her fingers more.  You'll find through lots of observation what your LO's sleepy cues are, so be on the lookout.  It also helps if you write everything down -- how long the A time was, what sort of cues you were seeing, how well he went down for a nap -- that way you'll know what's working and what isn't (and what cues are truly the sleepy cues you're after).

Hope some of that is helpful!

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:47:07 am »
thanks so much for this, i will watch out for some of the things you mentioned. my lo seems to yawn within minutes of his feed which is where my confusion came from so i will try to ignore this for a few days and focus on watching some other signs

i will keep you posted

:) :) :)