Author Topic: Dropping a feed  (Read 1237 times)

scucci1979

Dropping a feed
« on: May 05, 2011, 16:48:49 pm »
So we managed to drop Alyssa's early morning for the last week but she is still waking up at her usual time(4-6am) and it is taking me over one hour to get back to sleep. she doesn't cry, just fusses and has a hard time settling. Last night it took me 1.5hours to settle as I gave in and gave her a feed. i don't know what to do. I have some moms telling me to stick with the feed for a little longer so she will stop her Ews. I am confused and need some advice. I don't want to start our day at 5:30am. I have been resorting to AP.

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: Dropping a feed
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 17:23:13 pm »

Trying to think bak here ::) but i am sure mac had this annoying 5 ish wake up and i just couldn't get rid of it without feeding him eventually i went with watering down his 5 ish feed over like 7 days and hey presto he stopped waking because he was hungrier when he woke so he took on those calories during his day :D  although i am not sure if you are bottle or bf :P
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

scucci1979

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 22:05:01 pm »
I am bottle feeding.  I tried to over her water once and that didn't go too well.  I would of thought that after a week she would sleep through that feed.

scucci1979

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:33:37 am »
Last night she went until 6am. I tried to settle her with some AP but I could hear her tummy growl.  I don't want to start our day at 6am. Ideally I would like 6:30-7am.  I fed her 4ozs and she went back to sleep.  I feel like we are going backwards b/c she went one week without the early morning feed. If I don't feed, it can take up to one hour to settle and she is in and out of sleep until 7am.  Then we are both not rested and mommy is really grumpy for the day. LOL

forgot to mention, the other night she went to 6:45am without a feed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:35:54 am by Sabs »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 13:03:13 pm »
I'm not sure what would make a difference really. If you would rather feed her and get her back to sleep for a while then that's maybe what you will need to do for a while until she is taking more solids and can go a bit longer over night. Have you tried a dream med in case it's teeth waking her earlier?

I don't like starting the day at 6 am either, but if I couldn't resettle then I would rather start the day and get a proper EASY in, a decent first feed and then do a slightly earlier bedtime. For me, if I am going to be in and out resettling and neither of us are getting proper sleep we may as well be up. We treat anything before 6am as a NW and from 6 on if they wake it's up time.  She may just not be developmentally ready for sleeping through yet and some babies just are early risers no matter what you try :-\

What do you think?

Laura

scucci1979

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 18:04:45 pm »
what you are saying makes perfect sense. I just can't understand why she went one week without needing that feed to now needing it. I have this awful fear that I am going to be feeding her well over a year.  :-\  I do try to resettle first and like you said, if is is 6am why even bother. I know she doesn't need it b/c she eats plenty throughout the day and takes at least 22ozs of formula.   I haven't tried a dream med.

Offline oe

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Pam
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 18:12:11 pm »
super hugs Sabrina! You definetely deserve it.
Jacob, my little monkey - 03/19/2008
Owen, my gerber baby -  09/03/2010

Offline macsmum

• Showing Appreciation 111
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 19:45:32 pm »

Is she taking her 1st am feed when she wakes for the day if she has fed at 5ish....i only started to water that early am feed when ds stopped wanting the bottle at 7am as it was throwing my easy out for the whole day....it worked a treat i just did 6 scoops of milk to 70z of water etc till he started to take that 1st am feed i found once he took that 7am feed he stopped waking cos he was no longer hungry :P

Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.