Author Topic: Should I bother doing a df?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline tiffanycaryne

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should I bother doing a df?
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:31:10 am »
My son is 5 weeks old and only wakes up once in the night. Should I even bother doing a df?

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Should I bother doing a df?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 06:05:06 am »
I would say no :) Sounds like he's doing fine. Maybe try if if he starts to wake more. Do you do a clusterfeed? What time is the last feed?
Kimberly

Offline tiffanycaryne

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 15:43:37 pm »
Thanks for responding! I just started yesterday. I did a clusterfeed and his last feed was at 6:30 pm, and I decided to do a df at 10:15 pm. He woke up 3 hrs later (which he never does), and I fed him, and then he woke up again at 4 am and I fed him again.  Before starting doing a df, I would feed him at 6:30pm and he would wake up at about 3 am, and then again between 7-8 am.     Also, when I cluster feed, do I still feed him the usual 4 oz I do throughout the day? I used to be feeding him 4 oz every 4 hours. 4 oz every 3 hours seems like a lot of food and I dont want him throwing it up. I just dont want to overfeed him. He is 5 weeks old. Your response is greatly appreciated!

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 20:21:06 pm »
Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job. 

I agree with PP, I would leave the DF - sounds like it affected his sleep when you tried the DF.  With regards to the cluster feeding, I would offer 4 oz on both feeds.  Your DS will probably take less on the second feed, and after a few days you will be able to judge what size bottle to make.

How is your lo coping with feeding every 4 hours.  Is he able to cope with the awake time of a 4 hour routine?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline tiffanycaryne

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 20:54:55 pm »
It seemed like he was doing well with the 4 hour EASY because he would just sleep most of the time, but now that I am doing the 3 hour EASY for the first time today, he seems to be happier, (when he is awake!) and it is nice to start a daytime routine, which he has taken very well to so far.  I wont do a df tonight, and we will see how that goes! I will let you know. And thanks again for all your GREAT advice!

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 20:57:59 pm »
Good luck with starting your 3 hour EASY.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007