Author Topic: 1 Year old Sitting in bed crying  (Read 1065 times)

Offline jeepwillies

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:47:42 am »
Not sure if this is common or not, but just before my little one turned one, she started being more active in bed, and waking for no reason.  She will start crying and we will wait a bit to see if she can work it out on her own.  When we do go in, she is usually sitting or sometimes even standing and crying.  At first we thought there may be a pattern and it may be habitual, but now she wakes up at all hours.  For the past two nights and tonight she   wakes up at about 11pm and has these screaming fits.  They seem to get worse when you leave the room.  We have been trying to let her "cry it out" but that not only kills us, it does not seem to work.

If anyone has seen anything similar, or can offer any advice please help!

Dad

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: 1 Year old Sitting in bed crying
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 10:43:23 am »
please please dont let yr DD CIO, its not going to teach her anything and breaks the trust between u both. My DS also went (or is going ) through similar issues at 13mo so im guessign it may be developmental too.
HAve u tried walkin/walk out? or staying in the room soothing her in the crib till shes calm and then seeign if she'll go back to sleep herself?

Offline jeepwillies

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 16:19:29 pm »
thanks for your post yaya.  We tried the CIO for about 2 minutes and then said this is enough!  So does not seem like the right thing to do to another human.

Anyways we did the walkin/walk out and a bit of soothing her, and eventually she went back to sleep till 6am! 

We'll keep at it, but I definitly think this is because of mobility/change issues.

Thanks agian for the post, it means so much to hear other peoples similar stories.

Papa

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:02:55 am »
Hey there I am going to move this over to sleeping for toddlers so you can get some more responses

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 18:47:14 pm »
Hi papa!

Congrats on stopping the CIO. As yaya said, it won't take you anywhere and will only create confusion in your lo.

The reasons that a 1 year old has for waking multiple times are many. I suggest you to check on the FAQ section of this board under a thread called Most Common Sleep Busters and see if something there rings the bell.

You mention you've been trying wi/wo, so im gonna suggest also to check on the FAQ section under the thread Teaching Independent Sleep and learn more about this and other sleep training techniques.

Then, if you need extra info or have some doubts about how to get started on a new routine for your lo or to attack some specific issue, please post your lo's daily routine so we can come up with a plan for you.

HTH and please keep us posted! good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake