Author Topic: Help Me!!!  (Read 866 times)

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • And now there are two...
Help Me!!!
« on: December 06, 2006, 01:53:54 am »
Hi , I am at my wits end.. My daughter is 20 months and has only slept through the night a handful of times. she has just cut 3 teeth so I know this is a big contributing factor in our crappy sleeping. The thing is naps are finally going well, 1/1/2-2hours . But bedtime we are still waking at least 2 times. She is now asking for milky early mornings around 4ish. Ish she really hungry? she goes to bed with a water every night as she is attached to the sippy cup. She holds onto it. I have quit work in order to get a structured routine for her but it seems to have gotton worse. Please any tips or ideas on spirited toddler tips/routines would be great.
X

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: Help Me!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 12:01:24 pm »
Would you like to post your routine so that someone can take a look

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • And now there are two...
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 09:32:03 am »
Okie dokie, It has changed a bit after cutting teeth but generaly here goes
6.30 7am wake
7.45/8 bfast cereal + toast + drink vit c
10ish morning tea
12/12.30 sometimes a bite for lunch sleep
1.30/2 wake 3pm snack
5ish dinner rarely eats this
5.30/6 bath
6/6.30 milk usually very little
6.30/7.30 bed very easliy generally but take a sippy of water
wake ups generally start around 12 then around 3 or 4
last night was only at 4 when she asked for her milk i layed her down and said no milky , only water. she screamed, but calmed down after about 5 mins. woke again at 4.30 for the same reason. I repeated the above process she screamed a bit longer but woke up at 7am, which was great. I guess I'm wondering if I have caused this or if it is an age thing..
 Tia

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 10:02:46 am »
From everything I have read by 12months old unless the baby was premie, they should be able to go 12 hours without food... if they need milk or food in that 12 hour period it is "learnt hunger" that needs to be moved to the appropriate times. I'd probably offer Breakfast earlier & refuse the night milk & give a yogurt or custard at the night milk time... Banana custard goes down well here. Given she doesn't seem to eat much other than at breakfast she may also be the type of child that does better on 3 set meals rather than meals & snacks.

From my experience with ds#1 (& also what I have read) spirited toddlers do have a tendency to wake more.
* Things that have helped us is a longish wind down routine (giving milk or food has never been part of it)
* Talking about the day at bedtime - to allow them to "process" the things that stress & we have attributed to waking
* accepting that the wakings will happen & responding with a consistent message, unless distressed
* We also gave "ideas" for ds & what he should do if he wakes at night eg cuddle pooh bear, close his eyes & try to go back to sleep, pull up the covers if he is cold etc.

I wouldn't worry about the sippy, if she goes to sleep with it & you leave it in the cot where she can find it, then that is ok, both my boys had/have sippys in bed with them & I am pretty sure it does get drunk from in the night... without disturbing me

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 10:20:11 am »
I would consider cutting the snack at 3pm in order to try to get herr to eat more at dinner, it's worth a shot!!  Then is she does, carry on with your normal bedtime routine, we don't want this upset.

Take a look at this thread to see if anything else comes to light
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65903.0