Author Topic: Freezing breast milk  (Read 1085 times)

Offline kitcameron07

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 27, 2013, 16:12:45 pm »
Hiya,

I've just starting weaning my DD on purées as she's 5 months old and she's just started going through the night without a feed as well. I'm hoping to express some of the spare milk first thing in the morning and freeze it then use it for making porridge / baby rice or using it in cooking for her. A she's only having really small portions at the minute io want to freeze it in small portions and then bag it later and was wondering if I can freeze it in a silicone ice cube tray like I do with her purées and then put the cubes into a freezer bag to save space. I would obviously be very careful about use by dates so I didn't end up giving her milk that had been frozen for months and months.

I know you can buy breast milk bags but the baby rice I tried making this morning only wanted 15ml of milk which is about 1 of my ice cubes so I feel I would end up using a lot of bags and wasting them. If I could freeze them all as really small portions and then bag them it'd be much easier. Would this be ok or is there some risk of germs and bugs and whatnot making her poorly.

Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question. Just want to be safe.

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 20:18:56 pm »
I imagine you could use the sterilized ice cube tray (covered in a sterile bag so to avoid contamination) but as soon as frozen and bagged, sterilize the tray again?

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 20:20:37 pm »

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Freezing breast milk
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 00:55:45 am »
can totally be done. I would as PP suggests have a look around for a product designed for the purpose if it were me as then you know you can sterilise it and it will most probably be covered.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Freezing breast milk
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 21:29:18 pm »
I just thought I would mention that the enzymes in breast milk actually digest the cereal in the bowl and make it really runny very quickly. I found it impossible to feed and ended up just using cows milk. Just thought I would mention that in case you wish to test it out before going to such trouble.

I used to do what you have mentioned with purses and freeze in ice cube trays with a cover and then bag it. It worked well. I never did breast milk though.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011