Author Topic: Disposable vs. Washable breast pads??  (Read 4756 times)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Disposable vs. Washable breast pads??
« on: August 20, 2005, 18:48:12 pm »
I am using disposable pads, but i have to fork out for the Johnson's brand as the cheaper ones i find are naff, losing their shape and feeling very synthetic next to the skin. I only change these pads every 12 hours, they are very absorbent and i do not leak at all, except when i feed from the other side and i let down on both. Even then it is not enough to make me feel 'wet' from the pad. Does anyone use washable pads? I leaked more with Roo and so never considered them, but it seems now that i am throwing money away buying these expensive disposable ones when i am not really leaking and using their absorbancy!! What are the pro's and cons of them? How often should you change them? And any tips for brands etc.

TIA x
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 18:59:53 pm »
My worst leaks were at night.  I would wake up soaked with the bed soaked to the mattress.  I found that the washable pads that I had (Medela, I think) absorbed well, but did not have a waterproof side, so when they were full they leaked.   I didn't like the disposables either. They were very itchy and uncomforatable to me.  I found that if I used a washable one with a disposable, it worked best.  I would put the washable one next to my skin and the disposable one outside it, next to my bra.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline Mypunkin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
bfing
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 19:41:55 pm »
I started out using disposables and then went to cloth b/c they were so much more comfortable and cheap.  I found the absorbed really well and worked for me.  I wasn't much of a leaker after the first few mos, tho.
Jena

Jalen Sylvia Jean
12/23/02

jena@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 20:17:51 pm »
I started out using disposables, but found they were rather uncomfortable. I found an off-brand at Wal-Mart of re-useable ones and got those. I really like them and they are much more comfortable. I am not a big leaker, so I haven't had a problem with them getting soaked and leaking. I just tend to let down on both sides if I haven't fed in awhile, like overnight. Although I have noticed it is getting better and I may be past needing them now. I haven't used them at home the last few days, just when I have gone out - just in case - I don't want a big wet circle on my shirt! :oops:
Anyway, I have 2 pairs of them and just rotate using them. I have washed them in the washer and dryer just fine and I have also rinsed them out by hand (when they were wet and I needed another pair and didn't want to go do laundry!)
Anyway - I would lean towards the cloth ones for sure - for me anyway!

Does anyone know - does it get a little more reliable in "not leaking" as you get more established in nursing. Caeden is 10 weeks old and I am finding I don't leak as much now. Is this normal?
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 21:11:11 pm »
I think most women find the *leakiness* settles down after a while - but WHEN it does varies from person to person.  Most people I talk to found they stopped leaking within the first 3 months.  I was still wearing breastpads (disposable! ME? Do more laundry?? :shock: ) until Megan was about 5 or 6 months, but I leaked A LOT when she was little.  Even now, I will occasionally have a bit leak out on the other side when I'm feeding her, but it's not even enough to soak through my bra.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 21:14:10 pm »
I used disposable pads for the whole time whilst feeding Fraser, and I also found I had to use expensive ones - Johnson were best or Avent if I couldn't get them. I tried reusable ones (from Avent) but the stitching round them was just as irritating as the cheap kind. I've been ordering cloth nappies and got a pair of cloth pads to try from Ella's House - they seem comfortable though I haven't tried them properly yet.

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline Tamara

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 21:26:52 pm »
I can't comment on reusable as I never used them, but I can definitely recommend the tomee tipee  (used to be Maws) pads - very thin so don't show under tighter tops and very absorbant.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 21:41:52 pm »
Tamara - you got there before me  :P !!!!

I was just about to recommend the Tommy Tippee disposable pads. They're definitely the best ones I've found - thin, well shaped, and absorbant (& they don't move around in your bra).

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Xavier and Erica's mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • learn about Xavier's Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 21:43:24 pm »
Once we got past the thrush issues I switched to reusable pads, I use the medela and I really like them.  It's only been in the past month or so that I have not used any pads around the house...and Erica is 8.5 mos old.  I also have stopped wearing that blasted bra to bed everynight and have not had leakage problems (of course she is currently waking up to eat every 4 hours due to reflux issues  :? )
Good luck!
Jennifer
Xavier  10-20-01
Erica     12-1-04

Offline Eden's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 21:54:58 pm »
I use washables. in the early days this time and last time, i do find whent hey are full they do leak, but that was the case with the disposables anyway, and the washables are much more comfy. However they do show a bit more under tight tops.

I have come across a completely different systemt htough, although I havn'et used it myslef. It is called the Lilypadz which is reusable and non absorbant. It is made of silicone and can be worn with anything, even without a bra. they seem to sort of stick to your breast and preven the milk actually leaking out. You then wash them and put the same ones back on again.

i found them in a group called Twinkle twinkle. they are £16.99 and can be found online http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk You then only need one set.

Let me know if you go for them, if they are any good!!!
Clare
Eden:

Noah:

Jude:

Offline Jayri

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 00:51:01 am »
I have been using the gerber brand of disposable pads. I like them as they have a big area for coverage. they also come in three different absorbancies light, medium and heavy. I used the heavy up until about last month. they are amazing at night, i have a very efficient milk production. They definitly do hold alot if you leak.
I am not sure if you can get them in the uk, but I would highly recommend checking it out!
Naomi mum to ds 17.06.03 and dd 26.03.05
&dh together since 23.02.01
[img=http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/158880.png[/img]

[url=http://www.snugglepie.com][img=http://www.snu

annamum

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 01:44:17 am »
I was using first disposable ones but it started to be expensive, I needed plenty of them and bought reusable ones, I think it was Gerber. They worked really well for me, and I am planning to use them with a next baby, too.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 02:29:42 am »
i was a big "leaker" and after using endless disposable ones i found reusable ones (local natural fiber ones - now out of business i think... ) anyway - they were fantastic - really natural look and felt ok against skin.  at night i would just put 2 on each side so that if i leaked a lot the secind layer kept my shirt dry (most of the time  :roll: )

i kept disposable ones (individually wrapped) for in thenappy bag in case of emergency and also if i did not get a chance to wash all the ones i had..
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 12:59:11 pm »
I use Bravado washable pads, and I love them.  I have about 15 pairs.  I leak alot. (Dd is 7.5 mos, and I have just now gotten to the point where I don't need to wear them in the afternoon and evening.  I still leak so much in the morning that I have taken to holding a bottle under the other side at dd's first feed of the day.  I usually get a good 20ml (~2/3oz).) 

They are on the thick side so wearing them under tight tops is a bit iffy, but what I like the best is that they have a CoolMax lining that wicks the moisture away from the breast.  They also retain their shape when washed and dried.  I have some cotton flannel ones (I think they are Medela) that look like used tissues when they come out of the dryer.

One word of caution, though, with regard to pads with a moistureproof barrier (disposable or reusable), they are great for when you're out and don't want to deal with an embarrasing leak.  However, they also hold moisture against your skin (both bm and sweat), so it's not a good idea to wear them 24/7.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 19:30:31 pm »
I use the Pigeon disposable ones... I've got a pair of Avent washables, and I don't like the feel of them.
The Pigeon ones turn the liquid into gel, and I stay dry on both sides. I leaked A LOT when ds was younger... it's gotten better now. Only leak at night, which makes it more affordable.
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels