Author Topic: Aptamil comfort should I try no3 teats (TT bottles)  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Spandanna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Aptamil comfort should I try no3 teats (TT bottles)
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:46:40 am »

DD is 3 mo now. She was put on Aptamil comfort at 4 weeks due to reflux and straight away had to change to no2 teats as it's thicker.

Now she seems to be waking up continually throught sleeps (day and night) and seems to be very windy (i think this is the problem anyway, she's definitley in pain) Should I swap to no 3 teats do you think?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Aptamil comfort should I try no3 teats (TT bottles)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:45:50 am »
You can, or try the variflow teats. Is she on any meds at all? If not I would seriously consider seeing your Dr, or if she is on meds it may be time for a review

Laura

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:21 am »

Hi thanks for getting back to me

Yes she's on Ranitidine 0.7ml x 3 per day which seemed to be helping (she just had the dose increased too about a week ago.

It's as if something has happened in the last few days. I do think some of this pain is  windy issue but could be a combination. We tried the variflow at the start but she struggled to get the hang of it. maybe she would do better now?

Offline cjcoolcat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:20:41 am »
I use varyflow teats with the same stuff.  They work well. My Baby also has reflux and it disturbs her too. I noticed she became more windy (and smelly) since changing her milk, might just be an adjustment. Let me know how you are getting on.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:21:43 am »
I had a reflux lo, and I would say that probably the wind is more related to the reflux than the teat that you are using  :-\.  Yes, it's good to get the best possible teat size, but you may find that your lo is outgrowing their ranitidine dosage, or in fact many parents find that their little ones have to move to a ppi to control the acid production, so it might be worth looking n the reflux board about that.  Huge hugs, I remember how hard this time was ((((((((((()))))))))))
Claire x

Offline Lizzie Lou

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:41 am »
How you getting on? We also used the variflow teats with the TT bottles and comfort milk, DD has got the hang on them now. I also used Coleif (which you put in bottle) which seemed to help!

Offline kiansmam

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:22 am »
hi i'd also try a no:3 tbh as the milk will flow quicker and stop her gulping in so much air. It may be that she's not getting enough out to satisfy her hence taking in lots of air. Prem babies go straight onto no:3 teats to help/avoid reflux issues. Hope this helps
Staff nurse and Health Visitor

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:53:19 am »
Thank you all for your responses. We swapped to no3 last night and the faster flow seems fine for her although she is capable of draining 6oz in 10 min flat!!! She still woke screaming as if the world was ending several times in the night but not sure why as she seemed to burp well and had been using no3s since her lunchtime feed. I might try colief too! She's also on ranitidine for reflux but an off to the gp today to review it as she wakes so often during sleeps she's clearly
Still in discomfort