Author Topic: 22 month old having bottle before bed how to switch round to a beaker and story?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mum to 2 girls. DD1 Sept 2012, DD2 May 2016
Hi,
Prior to my previous post re sleep and clingy issues, we had been having a very calm bedtime, with  stories and bathtime, followed by getting into PJ's in her bedroom and having a bottle milk, then going into sleeping bag awake and going to sleep with minimal fuss.
E has always resisted milk from a beaker although drinks water fantastically from one.
At the moment I am not too worried but I know that I need to stop the bottle right before bedtime at some point and brush her teeth after milk rather than at bathtime

How did people switch the bottle from right before bedtime? or do i just not worry about it and she will just stop wanting milk before bed at some point?
Thanks Claire

Claire

Offline pinkladyangel

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Tagging along as we're in the same boat.  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Lots of people choose to keep a BT bottle for much longer but really the teeth do need to be brushed. I dropped DS's BT bottle at 12 months for exactly that reason, I knew I had to change our routine and brush teeth after milk instead of before so I thought I might as well drop the bottle at the same time.
I introduced a "supper" of solid snack and sippy of milk (your LO might prefer an open cup now at 22 months) which came after dinner and just before going up for teeth and bath. I was worried we'd lose our lovely calm BT routine so planned to wean the bottle slowly but in fact with a few rules set in place to help me keep moving forward the bottle was gone with no tears, no fuss and no upset to our routine and it took less than 2 weeks.  If you're interested I can give you some more info.
It does mean accepting they take less/no milk at that time but you can offer a larger milk drink at another time of day instead, maybe in the morning or at snack time, maybe in an open cup or with a straw if she doesn't like the sippy. At nursery they offer milk in cartons (I think they offer milk in all UK nurseries) at snack time for instance so when she is older she'll still have milk offered mid-morning.

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi,
Thank you, yes we do a snack and drink from beaker at about 6pm with some stories downstairs. I will introduce milk in a sippy cup at this time as a first step.
She has milk on cereal and lots of yoghurt cheese etc so I don't think I need to worry too much about dropping the bottle from that sense, it is just more about how to get her calm after bathtime, so that she will be put down into cot and go to sleep. I assume I should still get her into PJs in bedroom and then try a story instead of bottle, but she doesn't really tend to sit still for a story.
Or I could try and brush her teeth in her bedroom after the milk before bedtime.

Yes I would appreciate some more information on what you did , if you are happy to share as you say.
Thanks very much
Claire x
Claire

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
Assuming you sit with her on your knee and give the bottle whilst cuddling in her room. You would continue to do this but just gradually wean the bottle. Take 2 bottles up with you, 1 with milk 1oz less than you usually offer, the other with water as a back up. Give the milk bottle as usual and do your normal cuddle and into bed (don't worry about teeth right now the bottle will be gone within 2 weeks and as you've gone this far with brushing before the milk then 2 wks isn't going to make much difference). I doubt there will be any fussing but if there is offer the water.  Then some 'rules' (guides for you) which apply not just to the first night but every night:
- if the bottle is drained offer the same amount for another night then reduce by 1oz again
- if the bottle is not drained note how much she took, this is the amount you offer the next night (never increase)
- continue to sit and cuddle for your usual amount of time even though the bottle takes less time unless she indicates she'd like to get into bed.

When you reach 1oz do it 1 night, the following night take only the bottle of water. Offer the bottle of water.  If she chugs away at the water you could if you wanted break the association with sucking for soothing although there would be less pressure as by then her teeth would be cleaned and she would only be taking water.  Mine barely took any actually and he was a lot younger, it all went so much easier than I imagined.
There's a thread here where I describe it in a bit more detail and you can follow Happy's BT bottle wean as she used the same method:
morning bottle still needed?

Personally I wouldn't bother to introduce a story if she isn't showing an interest in it, the cuddles before bed are what she is used to and cuddles are great! There is no rule to have BT stories or at what age they should begin. My DS has stories before going up for his bath and another story in the bath but after bath it is wee, pjs, sip of water if he wants it, into his room, music on, cuddle and 1 song, into bed, kiss, sleep. I leave a sippy cup of water for him in his room in case he needs it in the night too.

hope this helps some.

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Hi,
Really helpful thank you. That sounds like a really good strategy and very easy to follow.
Thanks for your help
x
Claire

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
No problem. Shout out if you need more help or a hand to hold :)

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
I am going to hold off changing until we can get through this separation anxiety phase and then will just get on with it like you say.
Thanks for your help x
Claire

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator