Author Topic: Assorted animals 'scaring' him in his bedroom...  (Read 1006 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Assorted animals 'scaring' him in his bedroom...
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:16:40 am »
L's imagination is quite vivid. For about 2 weeks, he was terrified to go to sleep, so I stayed with him, talked him through relaxation exercises, etc. kept asking questions about these scary things that were happening at night and eventually found out he was imagining a rooster, snake and cow in his room at night. We had a chat and he agreed his stuffed dogs would be able to bark and scare these animals away. He STTN for the first time in a while and woke the next morning telling me there was a cow on the roof.

He was ok for a few days, then he had a chicken, goat and cow that couldn't be scared by his dogs but his stuffed lamb would baa loudly and scare them away so he could sleep.

Last night he started off with possums that roar like dinosaurs and monsters; then 20 min after I'd dealt with those, pterosaurs in his room ::) once we'd fed the pterosaurs some carrots (his idea to lure them out of his room with food), he went off to sleep about 8:30 and woke at 5:30, so clearly getting OT from all this sleep refusal, NWs and EWs.

Help?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Assorted animals 'scaring' him in his bedroom...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 11:09:15 am »
Oh poor poppett!! I always had terrible thoughts like this as a child.. usually aliens... Does he have a night light?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:17:24 am »
Yes, he has two night lights and a torch in case he needs yet more light. The night light woke him this morning though :(

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:58:09 am »
Oh no!!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:38:10 am »
Last night, he woke at 1am screaming because crows were trying to take him from his bed. He was very scared :'(

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 14:24:26 pm »
:( Are these night terrors? Or they fears before he goes to sleep? The crows sounds like a dream... but the others? I just know that often night terrors are caused by being over tired- and this may be contributing? Whereas if he's awake and scared i'm wondering if he could be undertired and therefore lying there for longer- so has more time for his little imagination to run away with him!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:50:27 am »
These aren't NTs. We get those too, but this is different. Some are fears pre-sleep or just as he's drifting off which seem to be related to previous dreams and some are obviously dreams he's woken from.  He often will wake MOTN and not be able to explain what's scaring him at the time but will say he dreamed xyz last night the following day.

He is OT, mainly because he's not getting enough sleep and I don't have Fridays off any more and can't help him catch up. If he gets into bed at 6:10 or so, he's out like a light by 6:30 and sleep til 6:30/7 but that is tricky when I don't get home til 5:30.