Author Topic: waking at 5am  (Read 4749 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: waking at 5am
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 19:07:03 pm »
Thanx sweetie, I have yet to figure it out, maybe he's used to sleeping like c**p and so after a good night he feels rested enough at 10hrs? Maybe if he settles into better sleeping he'll sort the early waking? (maybe wishiful thinking LOL) He has, on the up side, fallen asleep totally independently for all naps and bedtime for 5 days nows (albeit with me in the room and with a bit of pu/pd on resteless evenings)

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 19:33:44 pm »
well,i put him down for nap today at 1:15,he went down great,no protests and was asleep within 10mins.i then went in and woke him up after 2hrs.he woke up very happy.it is 7:45pm here in the UK and he went to bed at 7:30pm.So we will see in the morning if it has made any difference.

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 19:36:21 pm »
Fingers crpssed fpr u!!

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 07:07:26 am »
Well that was a no good whatsoever.He woke at 5.05am and chatted for an hr before he started shouting.now im desperate.should i now try w2s.

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 09:47:07 am »
I would think tha he seems overtired and it's a fine balance with some so it's hard to get it right.  I think that either an earlier bedtime (6.30-7pm) or let him sleep longer for his nap

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 19:09:33 pm »
Hya mari,this the the thing.my ds loves his sleep and i have never had a problem with naps or night sleep before.Up until just 2 weeks ago,it didn't matter if he napped for 30 mins or 3hrs.He would go up to bed anytime between 6:30 and 7:30 and he would always get up after 7am.I really don't understand why these mad wakings are happening.If tried everything now-early bedtime,late bedtime,long nap,short nap.still he wakes at 5am.HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 19:11:28 pm »
hmmm maybe u need to try w2s? i havent coz ds wakes diff times in the am, but u said urs wakes same time right?

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 19:16:52 pm »
yep,always 5am or 5:10am.If it does work and he sleep in a little longer do u also move the time i go in and stir him or keep it to 4am

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 19:20:02 pm »
Not sure about that, but i'd give w2s at that time a shot for a week or so and see how that goes. Then stop see how he sleeps then readjust ur w2s if u think u need to

Offline mari

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 20:03:07 pm »
Give it a go, I've never been brave enough myself!!  Let us know what happens.

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 20:12:31 pm »
Hya.Got up at 4am this morning,went into his room stirred him then went back to bed.He still got up at 5:10.Im going to keep doing it and see how it goes.Let you know.

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 13:06:22 pm »
Hi all.well yesterday morning after the 2nd night of w2s,ds slept till 6:15.I set my alarm clock to do it again this morning but he woke up at 3am,an hour before i was due to go in.He babbled for about 45 mins then went back to sleep till 6am.I hope that was just a one off and am going to try to stir him at 4:15 again tonight.This seems to be lasting forever now.I'll let u know how it goes.

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 13:11:12 pm »
Sounds like improvement to me tho!! Well don Hun keep it up!!! You're doing great! Us...back to 5am grrrrrrrrr

Offline mari

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 14:19:19 pm »
Quote (selected)
.I set my alarm clock to do it again this morning but he woke up at 3am

I think he's got you sussed!!  What a clever chap.  Although 6.15 is an improvement now though, well done.

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 15:02:48 pm »
Sigh - these early wakings just seem developmental....I have to give it up to that...cause nothing seems to work.

Starting near Christmas, DD started having night issues etc.

1.  We did the 2-1 switich - very positive - we are still on it
2.   I did a LOT of sleep training and licked erratic NW's
3.  Used w2s to hit a 4:20 wake - and it seems to be gone.   

Now we have a kid who has this 5:15 wake that w2s will not fix(have tried for a week)   I am NOT going to read one more post about tweak this and tweak that - seriously.....I am losing my mind reading and trying to decide if early bed, later bed, shorter nap, later nap, earlier nap.....and on and on MIGHT be the cause - and I cannot spend THAT much time adjusting what will be gone just in time for me to think that I have fixed it.    As I read the boards, it seems to be a VERY common thing.   Our DD's normal wake time is 6am, she is great with it, works for her etc.  With her new 5:15 wake, we HAVE had a few days that give me 6am (with a w2s intervention) and other days not - so I KNOW she can do it and w2s just does not work enough to get me up at 4:15 - to lay there in anticipation for an hour - just to be foiled once again.

As other posters have said, NOTHING WORKS - and you know what - same here.     The ONLY ONLY thing that will work is a bottle, and she's back out till 6am...I have tried it all.  I don't think I am doing her any good using the bottle just to "get" 45 minutes out of her. 

Here is the schedule we have
6am wake (various methods to achieve  ::))
11:30-2 nap
7pm bed

She gets 13.5 total sleep.    TODAY I tried something new.    She woke at 5:15
 ::) and I went in and shut her door and turned off the monitor.    I listened in bed for 45 minutes.      I heard her quiet (Thank you Lord, she's asleep???), I heard her rustle (Oh  :-X), I heard her cry (mantra) :'(.    And I thought really hard about it.....and then she was quiet, cried and quiet.   WTF?

At 6am, I walked in and said (Tracy style) - GOOD MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D and made all happy of the day.     I gave her the AM bottle and even "tested" her to see if she wanted to go b2s....nope.    So in my mind, we had a 6am wake and the day is started.     She seems happy and pleasant and has not signed tired - which she WILL do when she is ready for a nap.   

I am going to keep with this.....if I can and see what happens.  You know what, I SOOOOOO know it is not hunger as I have done some "tests" with a DF and she still wakes, no DF and she still wakes.  LAst night we were on the road at her bedtime start and when we got home at 10, I transitioned her from car to bed with her night bottle and guess what - she STILL woke at 5:15....the child is SO not hungry.  This IS a (bad) habit and I am all set with interveening in an effort t ocontrol what I obviously cannot.   

I work and I am up at 5am, so I can monitor her and not worry. 

Will post back.   If I had a dollar for all of the moms dealing with this, how much (based on posts that ALLLLL have the same theme) money do you all think I might have?

Please don't think I am not employing positive sleep training methods, I am....and I am also honest in admitting they just arent making the last 45 mins happen......so we will get there via some other method.    I do NOT ever let her CIO - nope....but I will let her work it out.    She will have ti figure out that when she wakes, it is NOT morning and when mommy comes in at 6 - THEN it is the sunny start to the day.       

Will post back

Stacey