Author Topic: Can you start WI/WO while child is teething?  (Read 653 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Can you start WI/WO while child is teething?
« on: March 01, 2007, 21:32:17 pm »
I have a 14 mo who is having one NW at about 1 am. We got into some AP, and we are giving a bottle at that time too. We're gradually weaning the bottle (we've gone from 8 oz down to 5 oz so far), but I'm thinking maybe I need to start WI/WO? However, he is DEFINITELY teething right now. He's gotten 3 of the molars already, and I can feel the 4th one right under the surface. If he sticks to his usual pattern, that tooth should come in about 8 days from now (each tooth takes exactly 2 weeks to come in).

Does teething count as an "illness", which would preclude using WI/WO? I feel like we're so messed up right now, but I know teething is a huge part of it. He's miserable day and night. He's still napping well, and although we got down to 1 nap for about a month, he's back to taking 2 naps because the teething makes him so tired. I have to wonder if the NW is also because of the 2 naps, but without them he's an OT monster who wakes more than once at night.

Any suggestions?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: Can you start WI/WO while child is teething?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 22:46:55 pm »
It depends how he is when teething.  Alex gets a cold and thrush sometimes and I have to be with her quite a lot during the night so yes, I would class it as an illness.  You know your baby more than anyone and if you think that he might get more upset at this time, then I would wait until the worse part of the teething is over with at least.