Author Topic: Should I break the association first  (Read 647 times)

Offline tabbymom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 19, 2007, 14:15:14 pm »
Hi,

I've been reading about pu/pd and I'm not sure I can do it. I have a spirited baby and in the past we've tried to do something similar (staying with him and keeping a hand on his chest) and he will be ina  full blown cry for over an hour. I do believe this technique probably works, I'm just not sure I can cope. Here's my question, since I am currently nursing him to sleep-should I think about doing one thing at a time? I read that pu/pd should be a last resort. I was thinking that if we started by nursing while awake and then rocking him until sleepy, it might go smoother? Am I being a coward? I really do want him to have great sleeping habits but I know consistency is so important. HELP!! Tabitha

Offline szaniab

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Should I break the association first
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 14:21:27 pm »
Hi,

True pu/pd is a last resort (and please remember that is should not be used with children under 3 -4 months) but it means that you should try other techniques (like sush/pat, wi/wo - depending on your lo's age) rather than swap nursing with rocking - none of these teaches your lo independent sleep.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Should I break the association first
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 14:34:02 pm »
How old is your LO?

By not nursing to sleep and rocking instead, you are trading one prop for another.

This link has some great info on a gentle removal plan

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52857.msg153288#msg153288

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months