Author Topic: Night waking and staying up!  (Read 758 times)

Offline newmama12

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Night waking and staying up!
« on: September 10, 2007, 20:34:00 pm »
About a month ago my dd started sleeping 10-11 hours straight. FINALLY!! Now, for the past week or so she's been waking again. But....she's staying awake! I don't why or what to do. She's definetly hungry cause she'll nurse and then still be hungry and I'll over her 4 ounces of formula and she'll take most of it. But then she thinks it's time to play and wants to stay up. Last night I was in and out of her room from 10:30 - almost 1am! After I changed and fed her I held her upright for a bit so her tummy could settle. Then I laid her down on her tummy cause that's her preferred sleep position. She will lay there and talk, then fuss, then eventually cry. I'll go back in and give her the paci. She'll sleep for 10 minutes, wake, talk, fuss, cry. And we'll repeat this for hours till she really falls alseep. Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions on what to do?? I know she's teething and I give her the Hylands teething tablets when she wakes at night too. She really wants to sit up and stuff, maybe it's just regression??
~Cyndie
Mom to my Spirited DD (5) and Textbook DS (23 months) :)

Offline lawnseed

• Lorna, mum to Iona, angel/spirited chatterbox, Eden, spirited delight and Tobias - thinking he's another angel/spirited!!
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Night waking and staying up!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 20:37:26 pm »
We have this sometimes - not fun :(

Maybe pop your routine up to see if anything needs tweaking?

Offline newmama12

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 21:02:47 pm »
Here's her routine. It's not exact cause it flucuates depending on dd, but it's pretty close! I was thinking of doing the cereal in the am instead of pm. I'm wondering if she's just not digetsting it well and that's why she's waking all of a sudden?? I suppose it's worth a test!

7am - bf
8:30-9:15 - nap (she's the queen of 45 minute naps!)
9:30/10 - bf (and sometimes additional ff 3-4 ounces)
12-12:45 - nap
1/1:30 - bf and ff if necessary (3-4 ounces)
3:30-4:15 - nap
4:30- bf and ff if necessary (3-4 ounces)
5:30/6 - 1.5 tablespoons of rice cereal
6:45ish- 5 oz ff for bed
7:30- bed
~Cyndie
Mom to my Spirited DD (5) and Textbook DS (23 months) :)

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 23:29:45 pm »
If she's the queen of 45min naps... you are better off offering her more naps during the day. She could probably do with another catnap - I think she is waking at night cause she is not sleeping well during the day,

What is she like when she wakes 45mins later.... playing, quiet or does it look like she could do with some more sleep???

The av A time for a 4mo is 2hrs so you might want to try adding more A time to her morning to see if she will sleep longer. Have you tried w2s at all to extend naps? If she's only sleeping for 45mins in the morning then you should offer the afternoon nap slightly earlier - so no more than 2hrs later... so its obviously not going to look like true EASY but this is very common at this age. This is a link to a thread - 45min nappers... you might get more ideas on how to extend naps https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=69789.0

Also when did you introduce the baby cereal? The recommended age to start solids is 6 months & the cereal could be causing her discomfort & causing her to wake at night. I would actually cut out the cereal altogether (she really doesn't need it) & stick to milk :-\

Layla

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 23:32:12 pm by Isabella&Jasmine's mum »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby