Author Topic: 14week old baby, drinks pumped BM exclusively, hungry or self soothing at night?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline gioella

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi! Im new to this forum and this is my first time posting here. My LO is 14wks, started 3hr EASY at about 5-6 wks. He has been drinking pumped milk exclusively with occasional breastfeeding. We dream feed between 1030-11. In the past, he had his NF initially between 2-3am, then it became around 3-4am, then 4-430am. Around his 3rd month, i thought he was going through growth spurt so we increased his milk intake from 4oz to 5oz. Then, he dropped the NF all together on his own. Right now, he is taking between 24-30oz of pumped breast milk in 24hours. I was initially worried about him dropping the NF. But he seems to be happy, playful and alert during the day, has about 6-7 wet diapers per day, has good night time sleep, naps are ok (still has issues transitioning onto next cycle but thats for a different post). He has been doing this for about a week now. But for the last two nights, he has been squirming so much at around 3-5am. He isnt really awake but just squirms a lot in his crib. He is swaddled with woombie so what he does is moves his hand towards his mouth and sucks during this time. Im not sure if he is hungry or just self-soothing. I have given him his soothie pacifier during this time and he will quiet down and sleep calmly. Should i keep on doing this or give him milk instead? Not really sure how to go about this. Thanks for your help!
**** Ella ****

Matthew's Mommy

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
When my LOs woke with hunger, a pacifier wouldn't keep them happy for long -- when he goes back to sleep, will he then sleep until morning?  If he does, he might just be transitioning between sleep cycles and is possibly trying to self-soothe.  I think you're probably ok with the soother and back to sleep.  If it's something where you're having to replug over and over, then he's probably hungry.  Sounds like you're doing great!

Offline gioella

• Showing Appreciation 0
Hi Erin! Thanks for the reply. He usually goes back to sleep and wakes up at 7am. Then he would take 4 or 5oz for his first morning feed. Sometimes if the pacifier pops out too quickly, we may need to put it once or twice back then he will resettle back to sleep. He doesnt cry during these times but just squirms and wiggles, not fully awake either. It just makes me worried that he might have weaned off from his NF early.
**** Ella ****

Matthew's Mommy

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
As Erin said, if they're hungry, they'll let you know about it :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
He sounds ok right now!  You've got a 4 month growth spurt on the horizon though, so this all may change soon.  :)

Offline gioella

• Showing Appreciation 0
So just a quick update. He did the same thing again tonight, but woke up earlier, around 330ish. Gave him the soothie and resettled quickly but after maybe 5-10mins when the soothie popped out, he started squirming again, and this time seemed to woke up with eyes open, but no crying. Gave soothie maybe 2 more times, each times, resettled quickly, even with smiling while going into sleep. I know you guys mentioned that he will definitely let me know if he is hungry but now, Im just thinking with this erratic/different times of waking up at night, if he is really hungry (I remember Tracy mentioning in his book that erratic NW are usually signs of hunger) but just not crying out loud as the swaddle is somewhat comforting him? Forgot to mention that he was a big baby at birth (8lbs 2oz), 12lbs at his 8wk check up, and probably around 14lbs right now. Im tempted to fully wake him up and feed him but at the same time, I dont want to reinforce and start habitual NW with him, esp since he has weaned himself off NF already. Sigh! Very confusing at times!
**** Ella ****

Matthew's Mommy

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
are you getting him weighed?my LO started going from 11pm to 6.30am at 8 wks...i was so freaked out i brought her once a week to be weighed, where each time the nurse reassured me that she was thriving!it was the reassurance that i needed that i wasnt starving her at night!!!cluster feeding helped alot though i think!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Waking at night can also be for reasons other than hunger/thirst, such has hot/cold/wind etc, although he sounds content enough.
*** Amanda ***