Author Topic: HELP, I think LO's clock needs to be reset!  (Read 1057 times)

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
HELP, I think LO's clock needs to be reset!
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:32:47 am »
It is 3:15am right now. My 11 week old is WIDE AWAKE, with that Mantra cry. I think his clock is off b/c if his 45 min naps. Here's what yesterday looked like:
Night before, he had bath, bottle and bed by 8pm.
Woke at 11:45. I don't do dream feed. It had been working-- he went 8:30-2:30am 2 nights in a row. I fed him- and he took almost a full feed.
Woke at 3:00am. Wide awake.  I went ahead and fed him- but didn't take full feed
Woke at 4, and then 5. At 5, I went in and tried sh pat, etc, and ended up trying to hold him for awhile.  he seemed to back to sleep so I put him back in the crib
Woke at 6:15
E 6:45
S 7:50-8:35 (we have been attacked by the 45 min nap monster for 3 weeks now. Sh patting does not work)
Took a walk in the stroller at 9:00. (we do this every day) He usually goes back to sleep for 30 min (I know, it's bad, and it doesn't count!)
E 9:45
S 10:40- 11:25 (ARRRGH)
E 12:25
S 1:05-3:30 (YAY. He needed Sh/patting at 1 hour  or so, but went right back to sleep)
E 3:30
S 4:30- I had to wake him at 6:45 to eat
E 6:45
Bath then bottle by 7:45 then bed by 8:00.

He woke at 11:45, I fed him, (probably shouldn't have). He was wide awake, ready to play.
Wake at 3:00 (it is not 3:30am) He is pretty much "talking"/kinda yelling in his crib, but not really crying

Could it be that he's thinking nighttime starts at 4:30 pm with that nap? The day before was very similar, except his 3rd nap was only 45 minutes.
I've posted on the short naps board.  I have had no luck extending. 

WHAT TO DO?? I can't tell if he's hungry right now. He doesn't seemt to be asking for food. I log his oz (he is bottle fed) and he has had PLENTY to eat today (total of about 29-30 oz and he's probably almost 13 lbs.)  However, last night when he woke at 11 and 3 I fed him both times. (Early 3 mo growth spurt??) 

If anyone is here, please please post soon. I'm wide awake, now too!

Jill
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: HELP, I think LO's clock needs to be reset!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 08:09:24 am »
An update. It's now 4am (I see that both mods are on North American time- so you won't see this till morning) ;)
I fed him- he took 4oz (Full feed is usually about 5) He was WIDE awake after the feeding.
He is in his crib, swaddled, and happy. I think he's drifting off to sleep.
Just a few bits of info:  He is a textbook baby with a touch of spirited (though I can't believe a textbook baby would have 45 minute naps- didn't he read the book saying he's not supposed to???!) :)
He is a DREAM to put down for naps and bed. When I see a yawn (or sometimes I miss it, and he has a little tired cry), we go to his room, sing a little song, swaddle, and lay down awake. He drifts off to sleep by himself. (At least I have that!))
Could he be going through the 3 month growth spurt early? 
The 2 nights that he did 8:30-2:30, one day he had one 2 hour nap, and the rest were short (and he had trouble getting/ staying asleep for naps that after noon. The next night was 8:30-2:30 and his day looked almost identical to the one above.

Ok, I'm going to try to go to bed now.  Many thanks in advance.

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:46:39 am »
one more update. he did drift off to sleep after the feed (4am) BUT was up again at 5. (probably 4:45) and then at 6ish.I went in at 5 and reswaddled and gave paci. i watched him on the monitor on and off till i got him at 7:15. he would drift in and out of sleep.
so starting our day w/ 1st bottle now 7:30. (we'd been starting at 6 when he went 8:30-2:30 those 2 wonderful days!) he's trying to fall back tosleep at the bottle (maybe b/c he's been up a whole lot since 5am!)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 18:51:46 pm »
It's quite possible that he's going through the 3 mo. growth spurt. Has he been eating more than normal?

Do you feed at night? Dreamfeed?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 19:44:40 pm »
I experimented with dropping the dreamfeed about 1-2 weeks ago. He was still waking 3 hours after the dreamfead (I was hoping he'd at least go 4-6), and I figured if he wasnt to eat, he's going to have to ask for it now. Last night was better. He went from 8pm-2am, so perhaps he remembered what he was doing. It's so hard to tell if it's a growth spurt b/c he still wakes up to eat at night anyway.

I am debating whether to ask my pedi for some reflux meds to see if it will help the nightwakings b/n that 2am feed and morning.  He usually wakes once an hour after that night feed until the day starts at (sigh) 6:00am or so.  Do you think it's worth a try? How long do reflux meds take to work? He has some SLIGHT signs of reflux (Or perhaps dysphagia- not sure) but they are not GLARING.

Today he fed first at 6:30 and took THREE 45minute naps. UGH. It's now 3:30 and he just went down for his 4th. I hate that his last nap is his "long" one, but it's what he does.  On the other hand, I'm glad to have at more than 45 minutes to get something done!!  ;)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 23:43:08 pm »
It could be worth discussing the reflux/dysphagia possiblity with LO's doc. Can't hurt anyway. I do wonder if dropping the DF is the key here though. Sometimes the DF can actually make things worse by messing up LO's sleep cycle and/or biorhythms. Perhaps that's what was happening?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o