Author Topic: Help, we're getting desperate! LONG  (Read 947 times)

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
« on: September 17, 2006, 09:32:59 am »
OK, here goes, our ds (previously sleeping 11 hours a night) is now waking a lot during the night, sometimes every hour.  Last night was the worst, I haven't slept since 12.45am.

Here's the relevant stuff:-

He is 7mo and had been angel/textbook.  He weighs 23lbs.
His routine was 4 hour easy but has been tweaked a little bit with starting nursery a couple of months ago.  Normally, he was up at 6.30, had a bottle, baby cereal at 7.30, A time, nap at 9.00 (ish), A time, bottle at 11am, lunch at 12, A time, nap at 1.45, bottle at 3.30, yoghurt at same time or shortly after, dinner at 5.30 (with pud a little later), bath at 7, asleep by 7.30.
He usually has two naps, about 1.5 hours long.  He is put in the cot with the room darkened down.
Bottle fed, 6oz per go (tried a bit more each time but leaves it).  4 bottles a day.
He had been sleeping for weeks from 7.30 - 6.00/6.30.  Now, he is difficult to settle at night (sometimes taking to 8 pm and having to go in and do pu/pd a couple of times).  He normally now wakes 3 or 4 times a night (once now looking fed and will take a full bottle) but can be more than that.
Sometimes he isn't fully awake but is crying and his eyes are shut.  It doesn't sound like a mantra cry.
Sometimes I can settle him by PU/PD, other times I've resorted to the paci (which I hate doing but feel I don't have a lot of other options).
His A time is spent going outside for walks, playing on activity mat, tummy time, playing with toys (eg fabric blocks and skittles).
He got his first two teeth at 3.5 months.  Got a new one about 3 weeks ago.  Thought he was teething badly a week ago (red cheeks, drool, loose nappies) but nothing appeared.  He was grumpy during the day (which he isn't usually at all) but seems fine and happy during the day.  He also had a temperature ten days ago (picking up everything in the nursery I guess) and whilst his mood is back to normal he is still having a lot of dirty nappies (not big woopers, just a little tiny bit - sorry if gross!).  He also had a growth spurt at 6mo.
He has a paci - some nights he really seems to want it especially when teething (and cries when it falls out) but most times isn't really bothered whether he has it or not.
He has a doggie which he likes during the day as a comforter at nursery but doesn't use it at night.

I'm going to take him to the gp about the number of loose nappies (as this is a recent and ongoing development) and he also has an abscess on his butt (a problem coming through from his bowel) which he is under the care of a surgical paediatrician.  He may need surgery in the future but is too little now - however it doesn't seem to annoy him too much.

OK, that's all I can think of - any advice and suggestions would be massively appreciated.  This sounds awful but I'm looking at him at 3 in the morning wondering "who are you and what have you done with my child!!"

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Help, we're getting desperate! LONG
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 17:04:24 pm »
My goodness, poor LO! And poor mommy!  :(

To tell you the truth, it sounds like teething to me. The teeth can go up and down and even start and stop before they actually come through, so that may be what's happening.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Petunia

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 17:32:28 pm »
I'm no expert, but is sounds to me like his sleep is being disturbed by pain and therefore he's having a hard time settling.  The source of the pain is what's really not known.  It could be teething or something else.  My son did the same sort of thing to me and it turned out he had an ear infection with no fever.  He didn't get the fever till it was a really bad ear infection.  Anyway, hopefully that's not what your son's problem is.

Offline linfran

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 18:57:30 pm »
Thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm not going insane.  I think its teeth too, the last time he wanted a paci like this was when he got his first two teeth.  He's also got a runny nose today and has worked out how to roll in his grobag at night (I've just put him to bed and watched him do it!).

I guess its a case of keeping the routine going as much as possible and ridin out the storm.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 20:33:23 pm »
No, you're definitely not insane - at least not yet!  :-*
Jessica

Offline linfran

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 20:01:57 pm »
Last night was a lot better - he slept from 8.00pm (after a bit of a fight!), yelled and was given a dummy at 3.30am and 4.15am and woke properly at 6.15am, so no bottle during the night which can only be a good thing!

Fingers crossed for tonight.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 20:13:02 pm »
Well that is good!! Could you send some of that luck my way since DS woke 4 times from teeth??  :(
Jessica

Offline linfran

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 20:16:02 pm »
Oh that sucks!

I'm sitting in our living room with the baby monitor and there's a lot of snuffling sounds - hopefully no crying!

Good luck for tonight!