Author Topic: 10 month morning routine  (Read 869 times)

Offline 2peasinapod

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month morning routine
« on: October 05, 2006, 21:16:20 pm »
I have 10 month old twins who have had slow weight gain since introducing solids, perhaps due to BF or it could just be genetics (they are following my weight gain as a child). 
Currently, we nurse first thing in the morning and then breakfast 1.5-2 hours later.  Lately, they seem to not have any interest in breakfast and aren't taking in near enough solids or breastmilk. 
current schedule:
7:00- BF
8:30- breakfast
10-11- nap
11:30- lunch
2:00- BF
2:30-4:30- nap
4:30- BF
6:00- supper
7:30- BF

I notice that some 10 month routines begin with breakfast and follow with a nursing or bottle time later in the morning, which would switch around nursing times but increase the solids. 
I'm thinking of switching the morning to look like this...
7:30- Breakfast
9:00/9:30- BF/Bottle
11:30/12- Lunch

Does this make sense?  How does this transition work?  And is this the best way to go?

Thanks!
Pressley

Offline ErinGP

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 18:08:17 pm »
Hi. I have also had problems with getting my son to gain enough weight. At over 9 mos he was still only 15 lbs 4 oz. I thought he was just on the small side but the dr. was really concerned and said we really needed to get him to eat more. I was breastfeeding and starting weaning to formula at about 8 mos, and just this week I've managed to get him completely weaned (he'll be 10 mos tomorrow). I think my breastmilk was not high enough in fat. He was gaining weight well until he was about 4 mos,  and then I got the flu and my milk was very watery and never really got back to normal. I don't know if that could possibly be a problem for you. My son now takes three 8 oz bottles a day, and he never got that much breastfeeding. We've also started giving him two solid snacks a day. We haven't had him weighed again, but just in the past two weeks he's grown out of some of his clothes and now he has a big potbelly! We have just this week started going straight to breakfast without a breastfeed. He seemed a little confused, but after the first day it wasn't a problem. Here's our schedule:

7:30 wake
8:00 breakfast--usually 3-4 tbsp cereal w/formula, yogurt and Cheerios
9:30 8 oz bottle
10-11:30 nap
11:30 snack--Cheerios, cheese, etc.
1:00 lunch--1/2 piece toast with cream cheese or jam, lots of cheddar cheese (he loves it lately), yogurt, fruits and veggies as finger foods, water to drink
2:30 8 oz bottle
3-4 nap
4:00 snack
5:30 dinner--same as lunch, but usually try some pieces of chicken or other meat (he hates anything pureed)
7:30 8 oz bottle and bed

Good luck!

Offline 2peasinapod

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 10 month morning routine
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 21:11:02 pm »
Thanks Erin-
We went straight to breakfast this morning and so far it is working fine.  I think I am going to have to wean them because I don't think I am making enough for them to gain the weight they need.  Both were only 13 lbs at 9 months. 
I am putting off weaning as long as possible as one of my girls will have surgery in a week and I know BM will be easier on her tummy.  Her twin may get weaned that week, not by choice but by being away from me.

Thanks for your schedule... it looks fairly close to mine.  I think I need to add in some more meat and carbs to their diet.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Offline ErinGP

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 23:36:38 pm »
I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you to have your daughter need surgery. I hope that it isn't too serious...I will be praying for you and your family!

Offline Crocker

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Smiles in the sunshine...
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 00:02:50 am »
Hi,

I am also mum of 10 month old twins ... I have not had them weighed in a while but figure as long as they are happy & doing all the other necessary development things ... then i figure it will work out in the wash...  Some weeks one eats more & the other eats hardly anything & then it swaps around.   

I will post my schedule for you to look at anyway ...

6:30 am   Wake
7am         Breastfeed
8am         Breakfast (Usually a weetbix with pureed fruit & some toast or banana or yoghurt)
9am         Nap - Usually 1 1/2 hours
11am       Bottle 6 oz
12 noon    Lunch (Meat & Veggies with cut up fruit & cheese or yoghurt)
1:30pm     Nap (usually 1 hour)
3pm         Bottle 6 oz
5pm         Dinner (Meat & Veggies or Pasta or Rice with a custard or dessert
6:30pm     Bed  ( 9 nights out of 10 they sleep through)

I did try to swap the morning to Solids first ... but i didn't like it & the twins seemed to get more disruptive in the morning ... so i swapped it back ... and it seems to work for us ... so why fix what isn't broken!

Oneway to add nutrition & calories is to sprinkle wheatgerm on cereals or yoghurt or fruit or anything ... they don't seem to notice... & my guys also love cheese & yoghurt so this seems to keep them full.

Good luck with the operation ... hope it all works out!   :-*