Author Topic: 7 month old fighting the spoon  (Read 1102 times)

Offline luv for 2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 03, 2006, 02:48:01 am »
My 7 month old fights the spoon.  I'm only able to get about 2 tablespoons of anything into him and that's only if I hand the spoon over to him to put in his mouth.  Today at dinner he was grumping because we were eating and he wasn't so I decided to try giving him a Baby Mum-Mum.  I broke it up into little bits and he pretty much polished off the whole thing on his own - with a little help from me to rescue the ones that fell down on his lap.

So my question is, what do I do?  How do I still offer him a variety while still keeping it safe for him and relatively easy in preparation for me?  I've read posts about banana and avocado but what else can I do?  Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Re: 7 month old fighting the spoon
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 03:26:08 am »
You can steam pretty much any fruit or veggie, then chop into small pieces. You could do larger batches and freeze some to save effort.

Offline luv for 2

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 04:06:27 am »
Do you have tips on steaming?

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 15:18:30 pm »
I have a rice cooker (Cuisinart 4-cup rice cooker) with a veggie steamer attachment, so I just put a little water into the cooker, and put the veggies or fruit into the steamer basket and check on them with a fork... when they're soft enough I take them out, let them cool, then cut them up. It would be just as simple with a pot steamer.

You could always boil too, but you lose a lot more nutrients to the water.

HTH. :)

Offline lisamichel

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 16:03:02 pm »
Gosh this brings back memories!  Leia was the same way and she started refusing the spoon at about 6 months!  Little darling just wanted to feed herself -  So I did pretty much a variety of finger foods  such as pasta's -  mac and cheese, or pretty much any other kind of sauce you can think of -  I just boiled the noodles a little longer to make them more soft -  Pieces of cheese,  tortilla's,   she loves toast cut into little pieces,   I was worried she wouldnt be able to eat these things but you would be amazed.      Then I give her fruits and veggies that are cut into small pieces - I havent steamed my own but I have used the canned veggies and fruits -  either the ones with no salt added for the veggies and then the no sugar added for the fruits.   Now the only way I can get Leia to eat off a spoon is if I give her one to use while I feed her and sometimes it doesnt always work.    Very independent little baby.     

Offline luv for 2

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 22:12:19 pm »
Leia sounds exactly like my Logan.  I give him a spoon with some puree on it and then he "chews" it off and then I get him to take another spoon in the other hand while I try to pry the chewed spoon out of his hand to refill.  It gets a little frustrating when he decides not to give up a spoon so I have to wait for him to forget about it or find some other washable toy to distract him.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 23:15:20 pm »
With Liam I had up to 4 spoons on the go & just kept filling up & passing over & it worked, he only had 2 hands & so he had to drop one to grab another etc.  He still uses 2 spoons & self feeds everything (loading as well) since 12mo
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 19:25:26 pm »
I was so glad to read this, this has started in our house this week with ds who is nearly 9mo.  He's about 25lbs and loves his grub but refuses to eat anything off the spoon.  We're resorting to toast and banana and he still takes yoghurt but it has been horrendous!