Author Topic: Weaning from paci - interested in experiences and success stories!  (Read 982 times)

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
My LO is 6 months and has somewhat frequent night wakings, although luckily not every night. I think part of them are due to wanting his paci back - he does use it to fall asleep during the day, at night I BF almost to sleep and he generally goes down without. I am trying to pluck it out before he's asleep too deep, sometimes it seems that plucking it won't bother him but losing it in his sleep will wake him up. He usually does go back to sleep if paci is replaced during the night, unless he's hungry in which case he goes right back after feeding.
Not sure we have the nerve to go cold turkey so any tips on different approaches are welcome!  :)

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Weaning from paci - interested in experiences and success stories!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 02:39:51 am »
My 2 never took a paci, so I can't speak to that, but is he old enough that he could be taught to replug himself? Lots of practice for sure. What about one of those loveys that he can find easily in the night that has a paci attached? I will find some eyes that know about weaning pacis if you don't feel these are correct solutions for your situation.

Maryn

[/url]

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:42:07 am »
that's my question...can he replug? i had lots of extra pacis in the bed but my DD was able to find them and replug. we did practice some during the day.

we also used the lovies with the paci attached. those are awesome! she still sleeps wtih them (she bit the pacis off so doesn't suck on them!!) at almost 4 years old.
heather

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:22:23 am »
We removed the paci at 3 months with DD as she was waking up a lot just to have it re plugged, obviously she was younger than your lo and couldnt plug on her own.

I did look at the lovies where you attach the paci & they look brilliant. (I think i actually bought one) but again at that point dd was too young & i was just so tired, in the end we just took away the paci.

Its not easy & there was lots of crying. We started with the first nap of the day, and i had to hold her to sleep as she was crying that hard, just letting her know i was there. Then by the second nap the crying was shorter. And by bed time it was a lot easier. That first night she woke once, and i managed to soothe her by giving her a cuddle & letting her know i was there. Remember she was younger than your DD so possibly wuicker to forget the paci! The next day went very smoothly & the following night she slept straight through (apart from a feed)

We introduced a lovie at this time & she still has it now (2.5)

So you have 2 options, either stick it out offer lots of paci's in the cot, or remove the paci but be aware there will be lots of crying & once you start i would say to follow it through!
Jody
 xx

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 11:21:13 am »
Thank you everyone! He is not fully able to replug yet, he's practising but sometimes I think even if he could he just likes to have someone coming in for a few minutes. He does have a bed toy, not with paci attached but we're trying to encourage lovey use so will have a look at them too to make transition easier.
I will also say though that we recently 'upgraded' to the bigger size paci and after some getting used to it last night it seemed better (didn't fall out or if it did he did not complain until it was feed time).  :)