Author Topic: Transition to cold milk and cows milk  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Transition to cold milk and cows milk
« on: October 24, 2012, 16:50:40 pm »
Have two transitions I would like to tackle and not sure how to do it!

DS is 13 months and currently bf-ing at wake up and about 30 mins before bed.  He gets a sippy cup of thawed and heated bm after lunch.  I'm going to keep the morning and evening feed for a while but I''d like to stop the heating and transition the lunchtime feed to cows milk.  Not sure which to do first, or both at the same time.

Also not sure how to transition to cows milk as I am unsure of how to mix frozen bm and refrigerated cows milk!  I've tried to find and answer to this on kellymom.com but nothing seems to address mixing cows milk specifically with frozen bm.

And as for the heating issue, should I just do this cold turkey and let him adjust or gradually decrease the temp over e few days or couple of weeks?

Thanks!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Transition to cold milk and cows milk
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 21:18:46 pm »
I know it's a bit different, but the way I moved from formula to cows milk with DS was the gradually alter the proportion of formula to milk - so started with 8oz F/1oz C, then 7oz F/2oz C etc until the formula had been phased out completely.  Not sure how that would work with breastmilk, though.  Along with that, perhaps you could warm the EBM as much as you usually do and add in the cooler milk so there's a gradual transition there (or maybe that wouldn't work so well!)
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 22:20:08 pm »
Have you tried just offering straight cows milk in a sippy? My lo will drink it fine so might be worth a try before messing around with a gradual approach.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
Think I may have inadvertently solved my issue!  I completely forgot to give him his sippy yesterday and he never asked for it! I didn't realize until after he was in bed for the night.  Guess today I just continue skipping it???

Offline *Sandra*

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 13:08:08 pm »
I would.  They usually get enough dairy in their day anyway.  If he asks, give him the cows milk in a sippy.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 13:54:44 pm »
Yes, you could just skip it if you prefer. If they are eating a balanced diet with other foods containing calcium and fats then they don't need actual milk after 1yo, especially as you are giving the 2 BFs. I never gave mine cows milk on a regular basis as like you I was still BFing at least twice a day.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011