Author Topic: how do i know if he is getting enough  (Read 818 times)

Offline ashtonsmummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • mom to Ashton born Oct 24 2005 Burnaby BC
how do i know if he is getting enough
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:54:02 am »
how do i know if my little one is getting enough bm when i express the milk all i can get out is maybye 4oz. i will post his feeding schedule

5:30am bf both sides about 10 15 mins total

7 7:30am  wake
8 8:30am  solids 2tbsp rice cereal and fruit if he still wants more

9 9:30am  bf both side and  nap 45mins to 1.5 hrs.

12 12:30pm solids
1:30 bf both side sometime only one depends on how fidgety he is

2 2:30 nap 1.5 hr

4pm snack
4:30 5pm cat nap 30 mins

dinner 5:30

7pm bf and then bed

he is 7.5months now i know he is napping alot but he wants to and never fusses when we do the routine he wants to go into his bed and if not then i just keep him up for a bit and try again in a while.he doesnt wake up crying he is happy and can play in his crib on his own for some time too.

He wants to nurse more often than scheduled but if i let him he would be sipping here and there. he also bf around 6 to 7 hrs after he is put down for the nite and goes right back to sleep then he wants more at 5:30 in the morn. if he does wake at other times during the nite i can give him the paci and he is right out but those two time he gives me the hungry cry. when i read other mom give their lo 6 ,7, 8 oz i feel maybye he is not getting enough bm so should i just let him have it when he signals for it.
once in a while if he only has been bf from only one side at a time during the day he will also want to bf around 10 or 11pm. and then at 3am and then 5am

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: how do i know if he is getting enough
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 14:58:42 pm »
It seems to me that your lo is getting plenty of milk.  He would not be happy otherwise.  Please remember that your baby is far more efficient than the pump will ever be.  The only thing I would suggest, if you are concerned about his milk intake, would be to switch the solids and milk feedings so that the milk is before the solids (8/8:30 milk then solids at 9/9:30 and 12/12:30 milk then 1:30 solids).

HTH, you are doing a great job!  Don't let the pump doubt your supply

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Mrs. Gravy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: how do i know if he is getting enough
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 23:50:07 pm »
If he's signalling that he wants to nurse, let him.

It's great for your supply, and great for him.

Breast milk is much more nutritious than any solid.  I agree to always nurse before giving solids.  That way, he'll fill up on the good stuff and the solids will be just for experimentation.

Pumping is not a good indicator of your supply.  Baby will always be able to get more milk than a pump.