Author Topic: Please Help! Baby will not Nap  (Read 1133 times)

Offline melbrad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 18, 2006, 20:44:21 pm »
I am at a loss-my little girl will not nap.  She is 9 weeks old and the best is a 30 minute nap (if I'm lucky).  I watch her cues and put her down at the 1 st yawn.  She just lies there with eyes wide open.  I do the pat and shh technique, but it doesn't help.  She doesn't cry until I leave the room.  How do others handle this?  I have no help, therefore the laundry and food still need to be be done.  By the time I feed her, I'm not far (usually 30 min) from putting her down for a nap.  The I'm spending all my time patting and shhhing for an hr and a half.  I must be doing something wrong and I'm exhausted!!!!!!!!!!! :'(

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 21:39:42 pm »
How is the routine? Sometimes babies get tired when they eat but then really wake up and have their activity time...

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Please Help! Baby will not Nap
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 22:32:57 pm »
Hello, congratulations on your little girl :)

Firstly - have you seen this thread? It's one of the stickies at the top of this forum, and I think it'll help you https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=39164.0. If you have time, have a look at the other stickies, too, they're full of great advice and answers.

Also, to teach sleep to a baby as young as yours, are you using the 4 S's? This is what Tracy recommended when you are starting out teaching a lo to nap. I don't have a copy of the book to hand, so I can't remember if it's in there, but it is in Baby Whisperer Solves all your Problems (p.182). If you haven't got a copy:
4 S's:
Setting the stage - getting the environment ready for sleep (ie quiet/dark/non stimulating/low-key)
Swaddling - baby should be swaddled gently but firmly before going into the cot (very important - can help with short naps, as it can catch the 'jolt', and help keep arms and legs from flailing about and waking them up)
Sitting - quietly without stimulation (a good wind-down)
ShushPat method - spending an extra few minutes of physical intervention to help a fussy baby drop off into a deep sleep

Also, as PP said, can you post her routine, so we can see how her days are?

HTH
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 22:54:51 pm »
I do all those things except swaddling.  I guess I'm a little concerned that she won't learn to soothe herself to sleep if her hands are closed in.  If I swaddle, how long do I do it for? 
Her routine:  Her day starts at 5:30 and she eats every 3 hours. I usually am putting her down about 1 hr. and 15 min after she wakes.

the pat and shhh thing is hard to do while she is in the crib.  Kills my back.  What if I do it in a chair with no rocking etc... Is this still considered to be a prop?  Thanks!

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 00:59:20 am »
Here's a link for a great swaddle - the Aussie swaddle. It can be done in a way that allows access to the hands (even if it's through the thin fabric) https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=1439.0. We swaddled until ds was 8 months (OK, maybe a bit long, but he liked it, and eventually gave it up on his own).

You can do pat/sssh in a chair with no rocking to calm the baby, but you must be careful that she is still awake when you put her in the cot - do not hold her to sleep. When I was doing it, I put ds' crib next to my bed, and sat on the edge of the bed to do it. Can you do this, or put a chair next to the cot?

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Mia & Scarlett's Mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Me and my girls (on a tidy day!)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 09:34:07 am »
Hello

Just thought I'd chime in about the pat/ssh thing.  I recall watching a baby whisperer program on the living channel where Tracy was called into see an 11 week old (I think) called Ella who wasn't napping well during the day.  After swaddling her, she got Ella's mom to sit still in a chair, flicked the light off and she held the baby upright with her head tucked into her moms shoulder while her mom patted and shushed very gently - I think it took them about 20-30 minutes before she slept.

Because they couldn't see the babies face, her mom had to feel for Ella 'jolting' ie trying to descend into a deep sleep - this was the time to put her down apparently.

Just another thought - will she take a dummy?  My dd wouldn't have one at first and I followed the instructions in Tracy second book and Mia finally took to it.  I only use it for daytime naps and without it I cant settle her to sleep as she fights it so much.  I resisted using one for so long and finally buckled when she was about 7 weeks I think.  I was worried that she'd wake when it fell out of her mouth but it never happened and now I wish I'd given her one from day one.  It would've saved a lot of tears on both sides.

HTH - and it does get better!
Louise -  Mom to Mia Alison born 19.08.05 
Our beautiful english rose and textbook/spirited baby.
New Mom to lovely Scarlett Grace - textbook/touchy

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 15:39:52 pm »
Thanks!  I tried the swaddling this am for the morning nap.  She resisted being in it, but I did a loud shhhhhhh each time she started to squirm.  She finally settled down and I patted her to sleep.  I only do the shhh thing when she crying and I pat most the time.  She has been asleep for a little over an hr.  Wow!  I'm still a little concerned that when I try to stop swaddling she might reverse?  When should I start to wean from the swaddling?  One book I read suggest 3 months.   ;D

Offline Beam79

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 16:11:37 pm »
My ds is 6 months and we still swaddle, though we are experimenting with leaving one arm out! I think if it helsp them slep don't worry about it too much. HTH x

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 16:15:02 pm »
Sounds like you did well, I hope it works for you :)

Like PP said, don't worry about weaning off the swaddle at this point. Most babies will let you know when they are ready for it to be dropped, I know ds did (at 8 months ::) - but he really did need it until then, being a squirmy wiggly worm ;D).

Keep us updated how you get on :)