Author Topic: Can I cause my baby to be traumatized by not picking him?  (Read 785 times)

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Can I cause my baby to be traumatized by not picking him?
« on: March 05, 2015, 02:38:19 am »
Hi! DS sleeps very well, thanks God. Sometimes he NW or fusses before sleeping and cries, but usually he doesnt even get up to cry so he is back to sleep in 1-2 minutes. I always monitor him through the baby camera.
Recently, however, he has started crying for me "moooommy" and I feel terrible to listen to him crying and not go there to see him. But in my experience, whenever I enter his room, he wants me to pick him up. When I do, he immediately settles and, when I put back in the crib, he starts crying all over again. And then it can take up to 30 min for him to get back to sleep. On the other hand, whenever I don 't pick him up. He soothes by himself in few minutes. Is it cruel to let him crying when he wants my presence? He is 1y 9 m.
Tks

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Can I cause my baby to be traumatized by not picking him?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:39:54 am »
At that age, if he's settling after a few minutes I would think it's fine to leave him.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:00:10 am »
DD3 always wants picking up during a nw...but she is a hefty kid and I am so short that I cannot easily get her back in the crib once she is asleep so if she is doing more than just a fuss while trying to self settle I sit by her crib and either repeat a sleepy phrase or rub her back a bit. I stop as soon as she is quiet and leave the room, though sometimes I do end up sitting until she is sound asleep. Or falling asleep myself ;)
Heidi

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 02:13:48 am »
Thanks guys! I really avoid entering his room as the only way he soothes when he sees me is if I pick him... And like you, I cant put him in the crib if he is asleep without him waking and then everything starts again. Do you go to your toddlers room during nw even if you see that they are still laying down?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:52:13 am »
I don't have a monitor so I go by the cry - anything other than a moany mantra type cry I go in. If she is standing up I pick her up (as she rarely does, usually only when she is very upset & needs a cuddle) otherwise I sit by the crib and stick an arm througb the slats. It really made her mad when I first stopped picking her up, no way to avoid that really!
Heidi