Author Topic: 7week old baby will not sleep during the day  (Read 831 times)

Offline Frankiefrankie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7week old baby will not sleep during the day
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:35:11 am »
HELP HELP HELP HELP :'(

my 7 week old baby girl is having troubles sleeping throughout the day... She is a prem baby, born one month early.... Her sleeping habits have changed in the last 2weeks... She sleeps well during the night waking ever 3-4 hours to feed but I think it's due to her being exhausted from not sleeping during the day.
It usually starts at 6-8am with a feed and some awake time. She has reflux so i have to hold upright for 20-30mins. Within half an hour she shows signs of being sleepy and I will rock her and place her in her crib... That's when it all begins.. She grunts for abit and then 5mins later she begins to cry and her hands come out of her swaddle (which she hates) I go in and rewrap but that wakes her up completely and she becomes very unsettled... Sometimes it takes an hour to get her to sleep and then she sleeps for between 30-60mins and wakes alert and not wanting too back to bed... And the cycle starts again.. There are times were she she only sleeps for a total of 2hours for a whole day (10am til 10pm). Is this a very long wicky hour or is she just overtired..... Baths don't relax her.... I usually give her one after a feed (7ish) should I bather first and then feed her?....
Desperate for sme advice......

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 7week old baby will not sleep during the day
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:17:56 am »
Hugs, and welcome to the forums.  As your LO was prem she's now about 3 weeks corrected age.  The behaviour you're describing is totally typical as she's waking up out of the very sleep newborn phase (where they just doze off wherever and whenever) and starting to become more aware of her surroundings.  It's up to you whether you want to try for sleeps in the crib at this age.  Tracy's advice was to start as you mean to go on, but to be honest with both of mine I've found it hard to settle them in the crib until closer to 8-10 weeks.  I did try for a few minutes each day for the first nap, but then just held/rocked/drove or whatever to get them to sleep, figuring at that age sleep is more important than how it happens.  A sling is really useful too, especially for refluxy babies as it allows them to be held (and sleep) in an upright position.  Is her reflux being treated?

If you want to try for some naps in the crib, you can try shh pat to settle her.  Often we suggest to start out in your arms at this age and then continue as you put her down and keep going for 20 mins or so until you get past the jolts into deep sleep.  This link is quite useful - Shush-pat - How to. You can adapt the technique to whatever suits your LO though - DD just liked a hand on her back (she was a bit older when I found BW and was a tummy sleeper), and DS (10 weeks) likes a firm hand on his tummy and his head being stroked. 

With regards the bath, some mums prefer to bath LO earlier in the day when they are so young as it can be quite over stimulating.  I've always done it in the evening before bed, with the feed afterwards.  But whatever suits you and LO is fine :)