Author Topic: Snacking  (Read 3421 times)

scucci1979

Re: Snacking
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 00:31:58 am »
Madi loves breadsticks. I do agree with the snacking but if I give her two snacks in the afternoon she will refuse dinner.  I truly believe that children eat better with other children.  
For dinner, I offered Madi potato wedges with carrots. She had two of them and spat out the carrot.  :-[ We normally have dinner around 5pm and she is clearly hungry by then, but the majority of the time she is not interested.  :-\

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 00:43:47 am »
I was a total disorganized mommy tonight. Picked DD up around 4. She asked for juice. I gave her some. Then ,she asked for cheerios around 4:30. I asked if she was hungry, she said yes...so she had cheerios, turkey and cheese in her chair (pre-dinner). DH and I ordered dinner...and ate around 6:45/7. I had a chicken cheese steak and DH got some sandwich with french fries. DD was playing outside (where we ate) and came over and had a few french fries, came back and had some bites of my sandwich, ate a piece of DH's lettuce, took a bite of my cole slaw and I offered her more turkey and cheese which she had. I didn't make any veggies which I will try to get into her tomorrow, but she ate enough to ensure she didn't go to bed hungry.

We didn't PLAN a meal so it was sort of, whatever, but she ate enough that I wasn't concerned.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 10:54:27 am »
Sabrina, can you do a 5pm dinner and then a snack later when she still wants something, like breadsticks?  I do agree, DS would eat things at daycare which we wouldn't eat at home.  But at home, we do try to stay close to that schedule also. 

Also one thing I noticed, not sure if it's true.  2 weeks ago, I went cold turkey with night bottles.  DS was taking 200 - 400ml at 1 or 2 NWs per night.  Once we stopped with the night bottle, he would be hungry only if he woke early.  If he woke at or after 7, then he'd be quite happy to play till breakfast is ready.  It almost seems to me like he's now trained to accept hunger.  He's eating way less during the day than when he's taking those extra bottles. Weird, huh?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 11:45:24 am »
I truly believe that children eat better with other children. 

This is SO SO SO true. And it is something Mum's like us with the more difficult eaters need to remember.

I'm going to assume it is a phase in many respects.

One of the other Mums on here once told me that during her DDs very picky phase she found that healthy snacks tended to stop the 'dinner strops' and I think I see similar in J - I certainly know that if he is starving he is unlikely to eat well at all as he will be too busy being cranky.

I have also read in some books about giving part of the dinner early if they are begging - that way if they do fill up on the snack they have had a good part of their dinner. I think they recommended veggies and dips, or some proteins. And saving the carbs as part of the meal itself.

I've been trying this a bit with J and giving him some cheese at 4pm instead of crackers. Not sure if it is helping or not - but I know the cheese does him more good than crackers so overall it is better iyswim?

I laso

scucci1979

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 17:29:24 pm »
Veggies and dip sound great. But I can see her dipping her veggies and licking them instead of biting them.  :P It is worth a try.
I was also thinking of trying some sliced meat(cold cuts) for her. I tried it once, and she just tossed it to the side.

Nicole, I would be happy if Madi ate what your lo ate.  ;D

My first goal is to try a lighter snack or pre-dinner snack before dinner. If that doesn't work, I will try dinner followed by a later snack. 

It feels like her meals are snacks instead of REAL meals. :-\ This morning she had some cheerios, some muffin and 6 blueberries. She was not interested in lunch, so I gave her toast with a yogurt. My plan for dinner is pasta mixed with peas.  I am not going to offer her a snack as we are going to my MIL and dinner is around 4pm-i am hoping she will eat. 

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 18:45:23 pm »
Madi's meals sound very similar to Jacobs TBH. I think it is common as have both been very early self feeders. Jacob just won't eat these 'meals' like others do.

J does eat cold cuts these days - quite likes ham and turkey.

I wouldn't do a snack if I was planning on a 4pm meal either.

About the dips - even if she licks the dip and discards the veggies she will have had protein/ veggie depending on what the dip is. And won't have ruined her appetite for tea.

scucci1979

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 16:32:11 pm »
Thanks Liz! I plan to try cold cuts again and get some more dips. 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 13:55:36 pm »
When I gave DD turkey and cheese the other day (deli slices) she yelled "ROLL IT ROLL IT ROLL IT!!!!" So I rolled it up and she ate it like a wrap with no wrap LOL.

scucci1979

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 17:07:12 pm »
I will try rolling it ;D

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 17:36:57 pm »
i also think cold cuts are good.  suddenly DS had his eyes on salami and cheese slices on daddy's open sandwich and he now refused to eat his bread in the morning when he sees the cheese and/or salami!  I'll try rolling, too :D

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 07:56:52 am »
Wow, I've just read this and you all have such delicate little 'eaters' compared to my piggy! I have to show you what she eats in a day:

7 Breakfast. Porridge or other cereal
Off to child minder at 8
0830 2nd Breakfast, usually more cereal
1000 Snack, breadstick, ricecake or fruit
1200 Lunch, a cooked meal and dessert like yogurt.
1300-1500 nap time.
1600 Tea, usually something light like bread and butter with some salad and fruit
1700 Home time
1715 Dinner, a full bowl (usually) of whatever we are eating. Last night it was mild chicken curry. Followed by a small yogurt.
1915 7oz bottle before bed!

She has the same habit as Madi and knows where all the goodies are asking for 'bikits' from the cupboard. She can smell chocolate on your breath from across the room (which we nibble out of her view) and will try and search inside your mouth for some if she feels she's missing out!!!

As she is such a heavy weight we never give any sweet snacks at all other than fruit which she seems to eat all day when at home, as you can imagine there are no food battles in our house! Rarely, like this morning she chooses not to eat everything. Other times she just seems to be eating all day!

For snacks have you considered dips like houmous? S loves breadsticks and loves even more to 'dip dip'. When we give her houmous she shoves the breadstick in then licks it off. What about bell peppers? I personally hate them but they are current favourites along with cherry tomato's.   
Formerly 'The Goblin'

scucci1979

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:47 pm »
What a great eater! ;D  I have tried hummus and she doesn't like it-think it is the garlic.  I plan to try a veggie dip next. 

Quote (selected)
She can smell chocolate on your breath from across the room (which we nibble out of her view) and will try and search inside your mouth for some if she feels she's missing out!!!
Madi does the same!

If she sees something in my mouth, she will smell me or try to put her fingers in there to see what I have. :P

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 12:47:40 pm »
Ava will eat anything with ketchup on it! (last night she dipped her broccoli in it ewww)

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 15:48:52 pm »
You can make your own houmous without the garlic!

We have to be careful now about what we add to our dinner and when! S loves gravy, branston pickle and coleslaw! She watches our plates like a hawk and spies anything that she doesn't have!!!

Formerly 'The Goblin'