Author Topic: artificial sweeteners  (Read 946 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
artificial sweeteners
« on: May 15, 2010, 23:36:41 pm »
So today I bought no sugar added ice cream thinking that is was like the other ice cream I buy however after I got it home I noticed it was sweetened with Splenda which is an artificial sweetener here in the US.  So what does everyone think about them and should I not give any to my LO or will it really be that bad for her?
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 23:42:38 pm »
i try to avoid but occasionally i will give my LO splenda. ie i don't buy something w/ splenda with intentions to give to my LO.  i def avoid the other stuff for myself and family. 

that no sugar added always gets you! one time a friend bought no sugar added pickles - and it had splenda!! LOL
heather

Offline Mortish

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Did some one say ice cream???!!!!
Re: artificial sweeteners
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 00:29:10 am »
Personally I avoid it too....I know there are lots of advocates for it....but after doing some research on artificial sweeteners I would rather no sugar than artificial sweetener...again, personal choice....

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:03:43 pm »
I really avoid any artificial sweetener (or colours for that matter). I don't think there have been enough long-term studies around to show they are safe in adults, let alone kids.

Offline Etsy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: artificial sweeteners
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:28:43 pm »
I would avoid it as much as you can. There is not enough research done on this yet. My rule is if it is not natural then its a no.
xx

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 13:14:22 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly.  IMO, splenda is too new for anyone to really know what the long-term effects are.  It seems that every sweetener is ok for years, then all of a sudden a study shows that it's dangerous....remember saccharin?  Splenda doesn't scare me the way aspertame does....and if my dd had some splenda accidentally I wouldn't freak out.   My mom uses splenda every day, (she is a lifetime weight-watcher member) and for the life of me I can't understand why, when a tsp of sugar has just 14 calories...I don't get it, but that's just me!   :-\

Nutra-sweet, (aspertame) should be avoided at all costs....anyone can google the dangers of aspertame...scary stuff.