Author Topic: still no fruit, worried with illness  (Read 896 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:06:09 am »
Ive tried fruit since Caleb was 6 months old and ive posted about it before and decided not to worry too much, tried to just add as much fruit into his mixed up food as possible however hes been sick for for a month now and now has developed a croup like cough due to his sinuses getting stuffed up from this col. I cant help but feel that if he would just eat fruit he would be able to beat this cold, i try orange juice but he doesnt really like it either

I feel like im going mad wasting fruit all the time and of course with him being sick i just want him to get better!

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 13:22:26 pm »
Sorry to hear he is sick,  he must be getting Vit C from elsewhere?

My son eats plenty of fruit and he has exactly the same croupy cough that you describe.  I think it is jsut something going around  - his older brother had it last week. It's awful!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: still no fruit, worried with illness
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 15:52:10 pm »
How much fruit does your LO take (mixed in with other items)? My DS can take an citrus fruits as they really upset his stomach and burn his bottom :( I find that some days DS will eat fruit fine, such as a banana straight from the skin, whereas the next day he wont touch it.  Sometimes I add a bit of milk to mashed banana, or put the fruit in yogurt and he takes it. 

You could also try a smoothie? We did this the other day with melon as DS hates the texture, and mixed it with a bit of water and he drank a bit (the plan being he will get used to the taste then eventually realise he likes it and want to eat it!).

To be honest, I don't like eating fruit myself so understand your LO not liking it (although I love smoothies, etc!). 

Hope your LO is better soon. 
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 18:45:48 pm »
Does he eat veggies? There's lots of vitamin C in broccoli, red and yellow peppers, butternut squash. http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vitamins-nutrition-chart.html This is a great site. With Stan I often make him a little pot of 'fruit' salad but with a mix of fruit and veggies in - so maybe come cucumber chunks, some kiwi fruit, some carrot sticks and some pear sticks. Maybe Caleb might try some fruit if it wasn't presented 'all by itself'?

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 18:47:43 pm »
I wa going to suggest smoothies too or fruit pots. We have been going through fruit refusal for a while and have stumbled on something that works for us.

One day I had a pot of diced fruit in juice and fed DS some (it was peach, pear and pineapple) and he took some! It was a hot day so i suppose he found it refreshing. So I carried on offering these then added various fresh fruit to it diced exactly the same size. Then I started putting it all in a dish but still diced the same and thats where we are now. I'm really pleased with it!

Today DS had half a big pear and a whole banana served this way...its working for us so far!

Good luck with whatever you try!

Nell xxxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx