Author Topic: my DD does not want to eat vegetables  (Read 885 times)

Offline magdalenapl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
my DD does not want to eat vegetables
« on: October 15, 2009, 18:20:26 pm »
Hello
I have started with solids with my 6 month LO due to doctor recommendation.
Now I am giving her only puree.
She likes very much fruits puree (apples, prunes, pears, bananas), but she does not want to eat any vegetables or meat puree....I can see she simply do not like it. To be honest, when I tasted some broccoli or turkey I am not surprised she prefers fruits :)
My idea was to start giving her vegetables and meat as a finger food. Do you think it might help ?
Or maybe I can use any herbs to make this food taste better ?
Should I still propose veggies and meat daily or stop for some days and then start again ?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Magdalena
Mom to Susanna and Jan

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: my DD does not want to eat vegetables
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 23:29:06 pm »
Are you using jarred food or homemade?  I did homemade with DS1 and he liked most veg, took a few tries though and I just kept introducing it.  Maybe you could mix like half apple or pear with half veg or meat then decrease the amount of fruit each time you give it until it's straight veg or meat?  I made homemade brown rice porridge for DS starting at 9mo (from super babyfood book) and mixed applesauce with it each time to thin it out and sweeten it a little and he gobbled it up!

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline luv2swimbikerun

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 01:46:09 am »
HI Mag

My lo has been on solids for 1 month now and a good friend told to not start with fruits and start with veggies right away, mostly b/c they develop a liking to the sweetness of fruit and then once they hit veggies it's no way Jose! That being said my lo didn't really like peas, but I mixed it with rice cereal and he gobbled it up. Each time after that I would decrease the amount of rice cereal and Increase the amount of peas and finally he was ok with just straight peas.

I agree that making it yourself is WAYYYY tastier than the jarred stuff, and it's easy too!

Viviana

Offline magdalenapl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:48:13 am »
Thanks a lot for the answers.
Carrots was the first food I gave my LO and she was eating them at the beginning, now she does not want. Maybe she knows now there is something better then carrots and want to keep the space in the stomach for it :)
I am using jarred food at the moment due to doctor suggestion (the quality of products used in jarred food is much higher then products we can buy in shops). I am trying to fix some good quality products and do my LO food at home. I would like to. I am sure this will taste better with some spice from my heart :) However I am a bit concerned because she is very sensitive - she has reflux, delayed stomach emptying, food allergy, very painfull gases and she is just teething :)
I will shrink back for a while I think - maybe some pureed carrot with apples and some cereal today and I will see how it goes.
Sorry for any grammar mistakes, but English is not my first language.
Magdalena
Mom to Susanna and Jan

Offline Adaias mom

• Helen
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:00:35 am »
Hi,

I agree with pp. Some babies much prefer the sweetness of the fruit to the savoury of the veggies, but there are some fab veg and fruit combinations you can make yourself. Pear and Parsnip is a good one, carrot and apple, sweet pot with apple and squash. You can then alter the quantities to make them more savoury once she gets used to the new tastes.

I wouldn't worry about your lo not taking certain foods. They say it can take up to 7 attempts for a bub to accept a new taste so just keep trying. Plus if she is teething she will probably have a certain preference for food. Normally cold stuff, but my lo will ONLY eat dried cauli and broccoli cheese from Heinz when she is teething. Its a bit wierd but as long as she is eating i just give it to her after trying other stuff first. Eventually the teething eases and she goes back to eating allsorts.

I'm not sure i agree that jarred foods are better quality as they are packed with preservatives, and alot have tomatoes in which are a known reflux trigger, but do what you feel is right. Can you get hold of Organic fruit and veg, then you will know your giving your lo good quality ingredients.

Oh and don't worry about spelling and grammer, all you have to do is look at other posts and you will realise even with English being a first language, most of us have to type that fast before our lo wakes/screams etc that its cryptic anyway lol

HTH

Helen xxx

Offline magdalenapl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 18:39:21 pm »
Thanks a lot.
I tried today carrot&apples puree and it was quite OK.
Tomorrow I will buy some organic food and will cook some vegetables by myself. I think I will prepare them as finger food. I was reading some posts here about BLW and I like it very much.
Yesterday I gave my lo a bit of rice cake and she was so happy ! She was turning it around in hands, tasted from each side. When I am giving her puree, she is catching the spoon and trying to eat by herself. I have a feeling she will like finger foods and accept vegetables much easier. And this will be a great experience and fun for my DD :)
Magdalena
Mom to Susanna and Jan

Offline magdalenapl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:25:06 am »
Yesterday my LO ate several spoons of carrot puree, but she was fed by Daddy! (it happens only on weekends). I was very happy, but I wonder what can it mean? Maybe I am doing something wrong ?:(
Magdalena
Mom to Susanna and Jan

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:38:39 am »
My lo is very inconsistent with her eating. For the first 3 weeks she ate fruit and veg really well but now (nearly 7 months) she has become more difficult. Sometimes she'll have a full meal, other times she'll refuse completely, regardless of what I give her. Maybe they just go through funny phases! Good luck!

Offline Adaias mom

• Helen
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 13:13:53 pm »
Becky,

They do go through funny phases! When my lo is tired/teething or feeling off, she will ONLY eat Heinz cauli and broccoli cheese, which is dried and mixed with water! I tell ya, it was all she ate for about 2 weeks when we had teething then a cold!!!

I did stress about it, but now i just let her eat it for as long as need be then give her other foods again and she always goes back to eating normal stuff again.

Cute pic btw.