Author Topic: How to feed when baby is teething and refuse to eat?  (Read 12882 times)

Offline pondofstillwater

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How to feed when baby is teething and refuse to eat?
« on: July 20, 2011, 19:15:20 pm »
My DD is clearly teething: rosy cheeks, massive drooling, diaper rash, facial rach, constant gnawing on her own fingers and soft toys and my fingers, and refuse to eat.

She is 20 weeks today. I have seen the white buds under her gum for weeks now and there are two tiny white dots actually poked through the gum although they are not the middle bottom two but the two beside them...

I am a bit panicking because she had 5oz in the morning, 4 oz at 11am and then just puked all out and refused the rest of the bottle.

She seems really wanting to sleep though as she was out into lala land in not time when I put her to her naps.

And she fusses a lot which she never does. She is an angel/textbook baby so it is very unusual for her.

How do I get her to eat more? She cries at the sight of the bottle, if I insist she will take it and suck on it but then just spit it out and crying... and I cried with her... poor DD

Tracy's book said 3 days increment... will this last longer than 3 days? Do I just go with the flow and feed her whenever she is hungry?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: How to feed when baby is teething and refuse to eat?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 19:36:23 pm »
I would take her to get her checked out just to make sure it is *only* teething and not something else going on as well, teething doesn't usually make them vomit (although anything is possible of course!).

Have you tried pain meds and teething gel before feeds to see if that helps? Some babies like very cold things to chew on too. Otherwise, food refusal due to teething does tend to only last a few days at a time so keep offering as you normally would and at other times if she is telling you she is hungry. Keep an eye on nappies to make sure she isn't getting dehydrated too.

Laura

Offline pondofstillwater

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 19:46:39 pm »
Thank you so much Laura,

Does teething makes baby wanting to sleep more? DD seems not able to do her usual A time in the day...

I have one question, do you have experience with reflux?

DD never had that but since around 16 weeks I noticed that she spit up easily although very small amount (which she never did since birth). I also notice that she is often trying to 'chew' down the milk that has been coming back up... is this silent reflux? I did remember reading somewhere that baby can develop reflux at 4 months? If that is the case, what to do and expect? How long would this last? Is meds the only solution? She is on milk based formula and she was doing fine from week 12 when I started formula feeding exclusively... till recently...

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 20:03:08 pm »
I have one question, do you have experience with reflux?

Unfortunately yes! I have two refluxers, both of which needed meds and reflux formula, DS until just before he was 2, DD is still on meds.

The thing with reflux is are they in any discomfort or pain. Most babies have reflux to a degree just because their stomach muscles aren't strong enough but it's only a problem if it's bothering them or causing them to not gain weight. With some babies it's apparent from birth, some it does seem to develop or get worse as they get older. At 4 months there is a big growth spurt so the extra formula/ milk they take in can be too much for their tummies so the spit up the extra. Formula takes longer to digest than breastmilk so it could be she is getting used to having the extra in her tummy for longer. If the spitting up isn't bothering her then there is nothing that needs to be done. If it is then you need to speak to her Dr who can advise you.

Teething can makes babies more sleepy - mine went the opposite way! Given that she seems really out of sorts though and is sleepier I think you would be best getting her checked out by her Dr.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 21:33:18 pm »
I am dealing with the exact same situation here :)  We were at the doctors just a few hours ago to rule of ear infections, thrush etc... And we are on day 10 of food issues...

The doctor told me this: if baby is still happy and easily amused, don't worry if they aren't interested in food, they don't feel all that great and that makes for a lousy appetite.  He said to keep offering at regular meal times (mine is 8 months old) and don't force it at all... that can cause major aversion very quickly!  If she seems hungry between feeds, offer then.  He made sure to let me know that it's okay if she is down on food for a few weeks up to a month or more... she won't starve ;)  As long as she isn't lethargic and always sleeping, she will be fine ;)

They do tend to sleep more than usual when teething... mine naps more and sleeps less at night.. her A times do drop considerably!  Her usual second A time is 3 hr 15 and she was out cold at 2 hr 45 today...

All that said, I would get her checked out just to be safe!

Offline pondofstillwater

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 23:45:21 pm »
Thank you Ladies.. will do if the next day or two she is the same.....

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:34:26 am »
HUGS!  It's so stressful when the won't eat :(