Author Topic: Low milk intake - brain development?!?  (Read 988 times)

Offline Josiepops

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Low milk intake - brain development?!?
« on: July 19, 2011, 15:46:03 pm »
Hi there, 

I've just been reading a couple of posts to try and figure out my LOs current drinking habits and I'm left a little worried.  He's always been a real milk guzzler, drinking 8oz bottle's till the cows come home but over the last couple of months (and since solids have been established) he really isn't as hungry for milk.  He's taking on average 15/16oz a day at 9 months which I'm hoping is okay as he is a VERY good eater, has a yogurt every day and has gone up to the top of the 50th weight percentile (was always top of 25th percentile before solids) but I was worried by one post that said any less that 25oz a day affects brain development....

His routine is generally,

7am - bottle (6oz, drinks 3/4 and rest goes on cereal)
8am - cereal
9:30 - nap (2hrs)
11:30 - bottle (3/4 ozs)
12:30/1 - lunch
2:30 - nap (2hrs)
4:30 - bottle (3/4 ozs)
5:30 - tea
7 to 7:30 - bath, bottle (3/4 ozs) bed - sttn

I was on 3 bottles for a month or so (offered before 2nd nap) but went back up to 4 to try and get his intake up.  It's made little difference to his overall intake.

I really don't want to reduce his solids as he has "tunnel mouth" (quite funny) for every thing he's offers but I definitely would if it is going to affect his brain development.

He's also just about to start nursery 3 days a week if that helps.

(In a paranoid way I'm now thinking the reason he isn't clapping, waving or wanting to crawl etc is my fault because he's not getting enough milk)

Jo & Cooper

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Low milk intake - brain development?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 16:02:18 pm »
Odds are slim that that milk quantity is contributing to brain issues. Is he getting nutrient-dense solids?

And make sure he's getting lots of opportunity for physical activity, TONS of floor time (it's not just for babies!), lots of any and every physical activity you can think of. Clapping to music - he'll watch you at first and join at his pace - let him see YOU do all these things and let him copy.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 16:57:53 pm »
I agree with Deb!

The minimum intake from 6 months is 20oz a day but that does include the milk/ dairy in their foods so if you are concerned and he won't drink any more milk then you can add more milk, cheese etc to his diet. You can give cheese sauces, milk puddings like rice pudding etc along with his yoghurt.

If his weight gain is nice and steady and he is having the appropriate number of wet and dirty nappies then he's probably taking what he needs. Milestones vary so much from baby to baby, they tend to do things in their own sweet time!

As for brain development, my two are refluxers and 25oz was a very good day's intake - as I type this I am watching my just turned 2yo changing a DVD because she wants a different one on - not much wrong with her brain I can tell you!

Laura

Offline Josiepops

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 13:43:17 pm »
Thank you both....

I think adding more dairy to his solids diet is a good idea thanks.  I'll also ramp up on the "if you're happy and you know it..." rhyme.

Once again re-assuring advice from the BW forum.

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 14:23:44 pm »
Agreeing with both Deb and Laura.  And about the physical milestones: my DS (who is a birthday twin to Laura's DD) did not start clapping until he was about 9.5 months old.  I remember the day very well.  He also did NOT like crawling and fussed and fussed at me if he wanted to move.  He went from walking assisted all over the place (ouch! my back!) to walking just after his first bday.  THEN he crawled an army crawl, then a proper crawl at about 18 months.  He's just fine...doesn't drink milk at all since we dropped the bottle, but that's a different story.  Just mentioning all of this to reassure you that given the chance to develop, along with all the yummy food it sounds like he's eating, I'm sure your LO is going to be just fine :-*
*formerly tersaseda*