Author Topic: 1 month old baby nurse to feed for night time sleep and other EASY questions  (Read 976 times)

Offline hsc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi, i have been trying to introduce EASY and good sleeping habbit to my baby for the last few weeks. What i noticed is that:

1) Sometimes he doze off while feeding (breastfed) during the day and i find it hard to wake him up immediately for his A time. I mean, i didn't have the heart to wake him but also he's v sound asleep. So often his schedule became ESAS between feeds. Is it ok to leave it for now and train him for EAS again when he's a bit older?

2) i usually put him to bed for his naps when he's still awake. He can falls asleep by himself for the morning nap (pat shh not needed, i just put him in his cot, say nite nite and leave the room and he will be asleep in a few min), need a little bit of pat shhh for his midday nap, and becomes quite hard to settle for his afternoon nap (pat shh for 45min and still not settled most days) so i usually let him fall asleep in his swing or in my arms. He's usually awake for 1.5 to 2hr each time so he shouldn't be overtired. I wonder if anyone has similar experience and how i can help him sleep in his cot in the afternoon nap?

3) he will not go down for his nite sleep at 7:30pm unless i nurse him first. So his schedule becomes EAES. E.g. If i feed him at 5pm and then try to put him in bed at 7pm, he will simply not settle (i tried pat shhing i his cot, on his tummy, holding him up leaning on my shouder) and cry until it's time for his next feed and then when i feed him, he will fall asleep v quickly and i will have no problem transferring him to his cot. So i ended up E at 5pm, A, then E again at 7:30pm and then he will fall asleep on my breast, and then i will put him in his cot. Sometimes he wakes alittle bit before he goes down, sometimes not,but in any case, he will stay asleep until i wake him for his next feed 4 hr later. Is that fine or should i still try to stick to EAS instead os EAES for this last feed of the day?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 22:11:59 pm by hsc »

Offline Rachelss

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Mum to three BW'ed children, now aged 5, 3 & 0
Very quickly...my thoughts

1. If you can, it's best to try to separate the E from the S during the day at least.  If she falls asleep (this is really common) you can try some burping or a light, bright nappy change to wake her up.  I know this seems unkind but if she takes a longer feed then she'll manage much better through the day and night, also you'll avoid setting up an E cycle that is too short.

2. I wonder whether 1.5-2 hours is too long to have him awake between naps at the moment.  A lot of 1 month olds have a lot less than that.  It is possible that he is overtired as the day goes on (which may also cause the very noisy bedtime) ... I would try putting him down for naps earlier.  There is a FAQ thread on this board which gives typical awake times for different ages.

3. If I'm honest, I wouldn't worry about this for now.  I often end up feeding my littlest to sleep at bedtime and at that point there is no real value in waking him up again.  I did the same with both of my older girls and found that as long as their nap times allowed them to fall asleep independently, it was never a major issue at bedtime.  IMO, what is more important at bedtime is a consistent pattern, as this is a real "anchor" in the day which marks the change from daytime to nighttime.  If this isn't there, you can set up a real problem for the months ahead...

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Rachel

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Here is the link to average A times Rachelss mentions. Average A times and "Is my baby ready to increase A time?" Those A times you mention are likely too long for a 1mo so she probably would be getting more and more OT as the day goes on. That is probably why she requires more help and has a harder time settling later in the day (although that pattern of going down most easily in the morning is normal). Most 1mos could probably only manage 1hr to 1hr15 max of A time and wouldn't be doing 1.5hrs until 3mo and would be 4mo before they could handle 2hr awake times.

Strictly speaking Rachelss is right about settling up good habits from the start with not feeding to sleep at naps but I actually didn't worry about that and mine just naturally started staying awake after feeds as they got to about 6-8wo and could handle longer A times. I know many mamas on here did the same. If you are putting him down awake at other times then he will still be able to learn to self soothe.

Definitely feed right before bed even if not to sleep. That is the only time of the day Tracy did recommend doing E followed by sleep.

You may find these sample routines helpful as well chronological EASY samples, 0-3 months

Oh, and don't for get to enjoy your little bundle of joy ;)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline hsc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you so much for your advice. I started putting him down for his naps after around 1.15 - 1.5 hr and i believe there is improvement with his midday nap. The afternoon one is still not happening yet (lots of crying and cannot fall asleep in his cot) but hopefully once i've cracked the other naps this one will happen naturally. Since my OP i have twice managed to nurse him, wake him up a little bit, before putting him down for his night sleep. Today, he just coo in his cot and then fell asleep on his own so i am seeing progress!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
That is great. 1hr30 is probably still a tad too long for him so he may still be getting a bit OT later in the day. Maybe try to keep to 1hr15 A time.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Rachelss

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Mum to three BW'ed children, now aged 5, 3 & 0
Looks good, definitely agree that things are heading in the right direction!   Don't worry too much about the late afternoons as this is often a "witching hour" when tiny ones can be quite unsettled.   I do agree, though, that if you can try to avoid him getting OT then you may find it easier to get him down for another nap, even if a bit shorter than the others.