Author Topic: Nighttime piggy  (Read 8521 times)

Offline Little toes

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2010, 21:18:39 pm »
Last night wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I expected horrible crying, but that didn't come til 430am. So her DF was at 11pm, then a few hrs later she woke up, but I didn't offer anything. I tried to get her back to sleep and it worked for a little bit. I ended up giving her water only. But at 430 she was wailing so I gave her formula then she slept til 7am. I couldn't get her to make it til 6am, but I came close. She's been eating much better today, I can see the difference. I'm gonna keep feeding her then hopefully get to 5am tonight. I'm getting there, little by little.

DH is very happy with the progress and gave me many compliments today so it gave me the extra boost to stick with the plan. Plus we talked about the BF and he's proud I made it this far and so am I. I'm gonna try for the next week but that's about it, dd's just not that interested anymore. 

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Nighttime piggy
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 02:29:10 am »
What a great update - been thinking of you and hoping it wasn't so bad.

Hope tonight is OK  :-* :-*

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 07:16:34 am »
Well done you! That's really great - nice that your DH has noticed how hard you are working too!

Let's hope eating better gets that little bit longer tonight! Keep it up - you can do it!

Laura

Offline Little toes

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 18:26:12 pm »
wooo hooo!!! making progress!!! Last night I didn't pay attention to the watch, but sometime after DF she woke up, and I did the usual, hold her, get her back to sleep. It wasn't a good quality sleep for me or her, but at least she didn't let out a shrill cry til 630!!!! I couldn't believe it when I actually looked at my watch! So I fed her formula, she took only 3oz, might not have been as hungry from the water I gave her in the night?. Anyway, she had breakfast and had her first nap without a bottle! When she woke up I gave her only 3oz cuz I want to keep filling her with solids, which is just what I did. She's now having her pm nap, took 4.5oz befor she fell asleep (im keeping the bottle at naptime for pm nap).

I can't believe how quickly she made the transition!!! Thanks sooo much for helping me turn her bad eating habits around! Tonight is night #3 of no night feeds, so I hope it's even better and she sleeps right thru. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 18:41:23 pm »
Sounds very good! She's adapting well!

Are you using the sippy in the night - how much water is she actually taking? If it's not more than a few oz maybe she is a child that just isn't hungry when she first wakes up. If she is taking a lot of water I would limit it to a couple of oz so until she is sleeping better so she doesn't swap one prop for another IYSWIM! So don't offer it straight away, keep it as a last resort thing.

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 20:52:47 pm »
Wow you are doing amazing  ;D

Don't be disheartened if you get a few rough nights soon as most LOs have a regression before they finally settle into the new way.

But GO mama  :D :-*

Offline Little toes

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2010, 19:10:41 pm »
Another update: last night was a bit of a rough night. She didn't eat much during the day - teething and didn't want much. So at night she was up at 3am, then wailing for food by 430. I tried giving her water, and she took maybe 2oz. I eventually gave in and gave her diluted formula which kept her quiet til 630am. She was still tired, took 5oz then slept another hr. So even tho it was not as good as the night before, I'm seeing progress. Today she's eating much better and I've gone back to the familiar foods that she likes most, just to fill her up. Hopefully tonight will be better. We're getting there!!

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2010, 19:52:59 pm »
It really is to be expected - but be holding firm by the end of the week she should be out the other side - and as I said before once you get there even if she does wake she won't expect to be fed anymore  :).

I think you are doing an AMAZING job here  :-* :-*

Offline Little toes

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2010, 20:10:51 pm »
I have a question, the night starts out ok, she'll be sleeping in her crib, but then when she's up (out of habit) I can't get her to settle back in her crib. She always ends up beside me (we were co-sleeping for a while). I'm wondering if it'll get easier the more she adapts to no night feeds, if she'll settle back into her crib better.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2010, 20:19:36 pm »
I think you will probably have to work on her being in her cot. If she can settle there at the start of the night then she can do it during the night too. You will have to decide what you want to do and stick with it. If you are happy to have her in with you then it's fine but if you want her in her own cot then it will probably mean some more disruption whilst you settle her to get her to sleep there without bringing her in with you. Another bit of prop breaking by the look of it :-\.

We went through a phase with DS when we were bringing him in with us - we were exhausted and it was easier. Then we realised that it wasn't doing him any favours so we stopped it. We had a few rough nights where one of us spent a lot of time doing sssh/pat and PD but he did relearn to sleep in his cot again. Now though, if we want him to sleep in with us like when he is ill to keep an eye on him, he flat out refuses and only wants his own bed ::).

Laura

Offline Little toes

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2010, 21:37:27 pm »
If she can settle there at the start of the night then she can do it during the night too.

If only it were that easy! Last night when she awoke I tried to get her back into her crib but her eyes kept popping open. PD hasn't worked for us in the past, and it's hard cuz I'm tired and just give in. But I can't do that anymore. Tonight I'll try to gather my energy and get her to settle in her crib.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2010, 06:42:28 am »
Sorry - I didn't mean to imply it would be easy - just that as she is a baby who can sleep in her cot at the beginning of the night then ultimately you will be able to get her in her cot the rest of the night. Some babies won't settle in cots at the beginning of the night either.

How was it last night?

Laura

Offline Little toes

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2010, 14:00:49 pm »
Last night didn't go as well as I thought it would....which means I was too tired to fight with her. I had a really bad migrane that made me incredibly nauseaus, so I didn't have an ounce of strength left to deal with her. So she slept beside me, was quite restless and now has an aversion to water at night! I can only trick her so much. She made it til prob around 4am, didn't check the time, gave diluted. At 6am I gave a proper formula feed then she slept til 7am. So we're getting there. Hope I feel better tonight and can deal with her wakings better.

And I know you weren't implying it was easy, it's all part of the package!

Offline Little toes

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2010, 01:43:27 am »
I need help again, I thought she was getting better, eating less at night, but for two nights now she's freaked out befor 4am. I did my best not to feed her but it got to a point where I just had to. She gulped down 4oz so fast! She's teething again and I keep trying to feed her more in the day but it's not happening. Is she regressing? Also tonight she had a hard time settling cuz she wanted to bf and refused the bottle. But she hasn't bf in a few nights so i'm not sure why she wanted to tonight.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2010, 06:36:16 am »
If she's teething it could be that she wants the comfort. Are you medicating for teething pain?

Laura