Author Topic: 14 week old NW  (Read 1235 times)

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:43:48 pm »
Background:  DD used to be only getting up twice, sometimes once a night.  longest stretch was 5-8 hours. She used to wake around 12, or 1 and again at 4. She has AR and is on meds.  A few weeks ago she was doing great, so I took her off her meds, that is when the NW started.  I put her right back on, but she is still having multiple NW every night.  Usually every 3 hours.  10, 1, 4, 5:30 and finally up between 6:30-7.  Dr. said she needs longer A time, so I upped her from 1 hr 30 to 1 hr. 45.  He wanted her up for at least 2, but felt like that wasn't appropriate yet.

She starts her day around 7.  But usually doesn't eat much at all.  She just wants to look at me and smile.  I think she is so full from eating all night.  Could this be the problem?  She is technically missing a feed, so she is making up for it at night?
During the day she takes 3 naps, feeding after each feed.  So she is on a 3 1/2 hour EASY.  We struggle with 45 min naps, but I can usually extend her.  SHe puts herself to sleep at all naps. 

She wakes up from her last nap around 4:30/5 and BF.  She BF again at 6:30 before she goes down for the night.  Wish I had more milk for her at this feed. 

Thoughts??

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 16:29:59 pm »
So this morning she woke at 4am for a feed, and didn't wake again till 7.  But she still wouldn't eat too much, just a few minutes.  I thought she would be starving for her next feed, which I gave her at ten, but she probably only ate 1/2 as much.  So I think the problem could be that she is not getting enough during the day. 

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 14 week old NW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:58:13 am »
But she still wouldn't eat too much, just a few minutes.  I thought she would be starving for her next feed, which I gave her at ten, but she probably only ate 1/2 as much
Is she getting more efficient? That is quite common around this age and mums often think LO isn't getting as much. Is she still lasting between feeds during the day? You could try limiting the 4am NF - so only offer one side and see if she takes a bigger feed at 7am.

She wakes up from her last nap around 4:30/5 and BF.  She BF again at 6:30 before she goes down for the night.  Wish I had more milk for her at this feed.
You could try expressing in the morning and giving the EBM in a bottle as well as the BT BF... That has been helpful for me in the past.

I presume she's back on her meds and the reflux is definitely managed - ie. she has no pain?

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:22:30 am »
So last night she did a lot better, which surprised me.  She woke at 11:15, then 3:15, then finally at 7 in the AM.  I thought since there was a large gap in between she would have finally taken a good morning feed, but she didn't.  I know that it is not because she is more efficient because she normally takes about 15 minutes, and will do both sides.  Plus the breast she nursed on was not completely drained and soft.  I was even nursing her in a darkened quiet room, but just couldn't get her back on. 

She will not take a bottle, but am working on trying to get her to take a cup

I think her AR is being managed.

So you think trying to drop the 3/4 feed?  I tried only giving her one side last night at that feed, but she was still crying and definetly wanting more.

I feel like last nights feeds were very appropriate, but still don't know why she wouldn't have taken a good AM feed.

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 22:12:02 pm »
I feel like last nights feeds were very appropriate,
I think so too.

Hmmm... how to get her to take more in the morning? Darkened quiet room is not working... what happens if you let her play/chat for 20mins or so, then feed her?

So you think trying to drop the 3/4 feed?  I tried only giving her one side last night at that feed, but she was still crying and definetly wanting more.
No, I wouldn't drop it, just reduce it to get her through the night but not keep her so full she doesn't want to eat during the day.

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 00:41:29 am »
Good idea, will try to let her wait a bit and get all of her good morning stares and smiles out of the way first

In general she is a pretty finicky eater and takes some coaxing to get good meals in

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 01:17:34 am »
Give that a go - if she's still not taking much through the morning, it may be that she's shifted her longest stretch without feeding to morning rather than having it through the night.

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 11:15:32 am »
no luck.  She did really good last night, though.  Took 1/2 a feed at 10:15 then another 1/2 at 2:15 then up for good at 6:20 this AM.  She was acting really hungry this morning, so I fed her straight away, but once again she only ate for a few minutes.  Waited 1/2 hour and she still will not feed. 

So if she has shifted  her longest feed, how do I go about resetting that??

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 03:15:44 am »
You can just limit the NF's a little bit more each night until she takes a bigger feed in the morning, or you can resettle the first NW at which you usually feed and if she wakes again, then feed - this just shifts the calories later though and will take a while. She seems like the kind of baby who won't eat more in the day til she's not eating as much at night rather than on you can just add a bit to the afternoon feeds and she'll extend the night sleep. What do you think? Whatever you choose, you need to stick with it for a good week or two but really, the NW's you're getting are quite normal for a baby this age.