Author Topic: Out of swaddle and waking 45 minutes into naps  (Read 1844 times)

Offline DaniRose

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Out of swaddle and waking 45 minutes into naps
« on: April 30, 2016, 23:59:09 pm »
My daughter is 3 months, 2 weeks old.  We have slowly been transitioning her out of her swaddle for a couple of weeks now and she has done very well. We had one arm out for a week, then the other arm, and now we are In a sleep sack. It has been fairly easy to put her down for a nap without the swaddle, however she has begun waking 45 minutes into every nap. Sometimes I am Able to get her back down after a while but her naps yesterday were not very good and effected her night sleep.  Today I had to hold her to get her to sleep for her evening cat nap because I believe she was too overtired. I was wondering if this is expected at any point transitioning out of a swaddle or if these are signs that it is too early? 
Also, I have begun trying to catch when she wakes up from her naps around 45 minutes in and help her go right back to sleep but so far I have had no luck.

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Out of swaddle and waking 45 minutes into naps
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 13:12:15 pm »
What are her A times like right now?  Weaning the swaddle can definitely affect things but it could also be that she's just a bit UT.

Offline DaniRose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 13:50:11 pm »
Thank you for your response. In the mornings her first A time is usually 1 hour 15 min. The rest of the day we are at 1 and a half hours. I get worried she will be overtired because she starts to get cranky by those times.  Do you think I should start extending A time? Would putting her back in the swaddle help until we find the right times or if she goes down for her nap easy Should that not matter?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 14:24:24 pm »
I think the 45min nap is likely UT.  At 3.5 months your A times should probably be somewhere between 1.5-1.45hr.  I think if you push that first one it might solve the short naps.  Sometimes they start fussing/acting tired because they just need a change of activity rather than actually being tired.

Offline DaniRose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 16:20:22 pm »
 We couldn't  get her back without the swaddle after her first 45 min nap today so we decided to try it with her one arm out swaddled again. She went right down.  I will extend her A time a little bit and once we have that figured out try to take her out of the swaddle again. Thanks!

Offline Mjh2mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 19:27:55 pm »
Just wanted to say we're in a similar place- trying to wean little one from swaddle but have been having crappy sleep as of late which makes it hard to get thru those sleep cycles! I too needed to extend A time and just today jumped him up even more and noticed not only is he sleeping longer, he barely moved during cycles. So hopefully that does the trick for you! We haven't even made it to 1 arm out, still double swaddling  :o but hopeful now we can try the Merlin suit
Good luck!
Amanda

Offline DaniRose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 22:28:22 pm »
Thanks for weighing in :) How old is your little one? How much A time are you now giving him?
I Wanted to try the Merlin suit but my little girl loves to sleep on her side so I don't think that would be a good fit for her. I heard of other people trying the zipadee but that zips in their fingers (which she likes to suck sometimes) so we are going to try to go right to a sleep sack.

Offline Mjh2mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:43:32 am »
He's 20 weeks today. We have the zippy too but he's even worse in it. He just doesn't know what to do with his hands- smacks his face, rubs his eyes etc and either wakes himself up or can't fall asleep and then cries. He just managed to get one arm out of the 1st layer of double swaddle and he's moving his hand around inside instead of staying asleep. It's such a distraction to him.  I've used it for naps but had to
Hold his arms down until he fell asleep. I want him to be done swaddling so he can self soothe and because it's such a pain. I've heard after a few rough nights they just get use to the hands being free but I guess I wanted to get him sleeping better again first. He wakes a lot at night (which hoping the A time adjustment will help) but goes down fairly easy. I just need to do the Merlin and hold his hands like I did for naps.

Well- we were doing 1hr 1hr15 min bc I thought that's all he could handle. But just today we did 2hrs and got long naps again! He was ready for a jump and I had him stuck in a ut/OT loop.

Amanda

Offline DaniRose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:55:26 am »
I'm glad that jumping to 2 hours helped!  That's exactly where I am now. get her sleeping better than Ill try again to remove the swaddle.  I guess that way I know it is the swaddle disrupting her sleep and not being OT/UT.   Best of luck!

Offline DaniRose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 12:54:57 pm »
I see products (Merlin's Magic Sleep Suit, ZipadeeZip) for transitioning out the swaddle but I do not feel that any of them are a good fit for my daughter. She loves to sleep on her side so I think Merlin's wouldn't allow her to do that, and she likes to have her fingers to suck and the Zipadee doesn't give her access to her fingers.   My plan is to just put her in a sleep sac but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this and can offer any advice for a smooth transition. Thanks!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 13:00:55 pm »
As pp has said, it helps to get A time right.

The involuntary jerks that wake them up are developmental and she should grow out of it eventually.  Maybe it's too early to completely remove the swaddle and you could keep her with one arm in (if that seems to be giving you a better nap) until she's a little older and she's grown out of thr the reflexes that are waking her up?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline DaniRose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 13:10:02 pm »
How long does it typically take for them to grow out of those reflexes? I am beginning to agree that it is too early to completely remove the swaddle. I was trying to be proactive about it since I know once she can roll back to stomach we need to take it away. However, that is further away than it seems and since it isn't broke now I guess I shouldn't try to fix it   ;)  Thanks!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 13:34:17 pm »
It varies from baby to baby- I think both of mine were out the swaddle by 4mo and definitely needed it for naps longer than night sleep.  But like you say, if there's no safety reason to wean it now, keep it if it's working
Xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 14:07:25 pm »
We tried to wean the swaddle a few weeks back and it didn't go that well, so I decided to keep it.  I think it becomes obvious when they are ready and my DD clearly was not and since there wasn't a safety issue we kept it.  That said, last night she rolled over in it while she was sleeping and got stuck on her tummy, so now it's time for us to wean for sure.  If you don't think she's ready and safety isn't an issue you can definitely keep swaddling for now :)