Author Topic: I need to drop just one night feed  (Read 4322 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: I need to drop just one night feed
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:14:28 am »
Well last night was Audrey 1, rest of the family 0. She woke up at 9.30, I fed her, then woke up again at 2. I resettled her - tbh she didn't get too upset but was quite loud - and she was back to sleep by 2.30. But by that time Stan and DH were wide awake. Then at 3 she woke up again, so I fed her. Stan got back to sleep about 3.30 in our bed. DH had to go on the couch downstairs. Then she woke up again to feed at 6 and was very wide awake and full of beans. I remember thinking 'Oh well, we'll just have to get onto a 12 hour day' and then she crashed out and oops we all overslept until 8.15 and were late for nursery. Wow. I guess we'll try again tonight?

As a reminder I think I do need to do W2S at 8.30pm to try and get rid of that 9.30pm habitual wake up.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:45 am »
Hugs Anna xx

Apart from the disruption to the rest of you she did really well to settle back so quickly.  Did she take a full feed at 3am? 

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 10:52:05 am »
Yeh she did, but then she always feeds really well overnight, I think that is part of the problem: lovely long feeds overnight, sips and snacks during the day.

I'm very pleased that she resettled without getting in a real pickle, we've at least planted the seed of the idea that she doesn't have to feed every time she wakes up. I didn't have to pick her up at all, just rubbed her back and stroked her face for about 15 mins - for the rest of the half hour I was just nearby waiting to see if she needed me while she moaned and rubbed her face on the mattress. I think if we can get her to wait until 10-10.30 for her DF that will help us out too, I've set an alarm on my phone to remind me to do W2S tonight. She fed at 9.30 last night, so when she woke at 2 it was 4.5hrs since her last feed.

I do sort of think we probably need to be on a more 12 hour day but it's hard when she still always needs an early night to avoid OT! We'll see where we are in a couple more days I guess. Sleeping in so late this morning was almost certainly a bad idea. I did 2hrs for her first A time but uh oh, I think I hear her waking after 30 mins...

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 03:07:31 am »
Should I have a minimum gap between DF and NF? Or just resettle nO matter if it's been 3 or 5 hrs? I just went straight in and fed her, so hard to think straight at 3 am. :(

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 07:31:34 am »
This is so ridiculous but I feel angry with her. 3 am feed wont see her through til 7. So I feed at 6.20, tiny feed, she goes back to sleep and then won't feed at all when she wakes up. Then I hear from my cousin whose daughter is 5 weeks younger, also BF, she's been sttn for 6 weeks. I don't know how I can do it with the crying b/c even if Stan is in our bed he's still woken up by her shouting. Just so tired and fed up and want to know why I can't have babies who sleep. 

Offline babymunkey

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Helen.....call me H
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 10:04:33 am »
OK Anna, so by my maths that means your friend's baby has been STTN since she was 8 weeks old - for an EBF baby you know that's not normal!!

Could you get yourself sorted for a few early mornings? If she only took a small feed then didnt want to feed at get up time she doesn't need it. Maybe she's missing the dummy - is there anything environmental thats waking her then she wants to feed to get back to sleep? (Just checked - sunrise is around 6.30 atm - how light is her room?) Sounds to me like you need to tough it out at that feed too.

How was she before 3? Did she wake at all?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:25 am »
Room is pitch dark and white noise on. She usually takes a full feed at 5.30-6am, but will go back to sleep. I only stopped her feed early in the hope that we could get off to a decent start when she woke up in the morning, but she wouldn't feed again until 8.45. So usually, for her the 5.30-6am feed is a night feed, i.e. she will take a full feed and go straight back to sleep. Would you suggest holding her off with PUPD until 7? That means Stan is going to be up at 5.30 after a disturbed night too  :-\ ??? Ugh why does this have to be so hard. Why can she not just sleep? I am really fed up with her today. Don't want to play.

She went from 10.30-3, so only 4.5hrs. She woke up before the DF as well but DH settled her back to sleep in about 20 mins. We tried W2S at 8.30 but she still woke up at 9.30.

My worry about starting the day at 6am is that bedtime will get even earlier. She just doesn't nap long enough to make it to a 12 hour day. Even if she had really good naps, she would nap 8-9.30, 11.30-1, 3-3.30 - and then a 3hr A until bedtime??
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:57:24 am by anna* »

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 13:20:47 pm »
She went from 10.30-3, so only 4.5hrs. She woke up before the DF as well but DH settled her back to sleep in about 20 mins. We tried W2S at 8.30 but she still woke up at 9.30.

I think 4.5 hours is probably ok.  I know not ideal but ok especially with a shorter day and losing a day feed.  Is it possible to fit in another CN in the day and get to a later bedtime so your day is 12 hours more or less and you can fit another feed in.  Then DF can be later and hopefully that will push her to one NF overnight? 

Can you pump while S is at school and make DH do the MOTN feed every other night even so you can get some proper rest? 

I am really fed up with her today. Don't want to play.
{{{hugs}}}  That sucks but I do remember with DD2 I got so so bored being at home and when I was exhausted I just couldn't be bothered.  I felt so guilty because with M I constantly read books and set up games and toys and did music and all the rest. It was like my enthusiasm waned a bit with DD2 and then with no sleep, well forget about it xx

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 15:17:30 pm »
Thing is, she's not missing a feed. On a 4-hr EASY and a 12 hr day a baby will have 4 feeds in a day (say 7, 11, 3, 6.30), and Audrey has average 7 feeds in 24 hrs, sometimes 8. So on a good day when she actually has breakfast, she will do say 7.30, 11, 2.30 or 3, 6, "DF" (or earlier if she wakes for it) and then 2 more feeds. Her day isn't really that short, often it's 11.5hrs, it's just that we almost always need an early-ish BT because of how her naps fall. Often I'm putting her in bed at 6.30 but she may not actually fall asleep until 6.45. For example, today she woke up at just gone 7, so unless she skips her catnap entirely it will be an 11.5hr day. If a baby can go to sleep at 7 and get a 10.30 DF, Audrey should be able to go 6.30 til 10.

If we do another catnap, bedtime is going to end up really late. She wakes from her catnap around 5, then would be ready for another catnap at 6.30, but then won't be ready for bed until 8 at the earliest and will be awake and wanting attention while I'm putting Stan to bed, and that's really the only quality time he and I get, most days. Unless I'm missing something? Brain obviously isn't working very well today...

I'm just going to push her to six hours, try and make it work somehow, hope it won't take too many nights. She's not going to do it by herself, and I can't just wait for her to outgrow it, it could take months. Stan will just have to be tired. I can't see any other way. It's not unreasonable to want and expect a longer stretch of sleep by this point, it's just frustrating that it has to come to lots of crying when she is supposedly angel/textbook, and missed sleep for Stan.

Offline charmie

• Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 15:39:09 pm »
Anna could you have Stan sleeping with you for a couple of nights?  Would that help him get more sleep or would he still be woken up from the crying?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 16:33:23 pm »
I hope so Charm. Night before last he started out in his bed, came into our bed when she started crying, but then couldn't fall back to sleep for well over an hour. Maybe if he starts out in our bed - and has his ear defenders to hand - he might be able to stay asleep. Poor guy, he's really tired.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 17:11:23 pm »
Even if she had really good naps, she would nap 8-9.30, 11.30-1, 3-3.30 -
Sorry Anna I was basing my suggestion on this ^^ and thought her last nap was over at 3.30. 

So she has another CN that ends at 5pm?  SOrry am a bit confused. 

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 17:31:12 pm »
No, that's what would happen if we started our day at 6am, per H's suggestion. Usually the day starts around 7.30, so naps are 9.30-11, 1-2.30, 4.30-5.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 18:32:19 pm »
I get ya.  I guess you just have to get on with the night feeds or tackle them like you're thinking.  Can DH not do one of the NFs if you pump so at least you can get a break? 

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 22:41:10 pm »
Hi Anna...was just checking in to see how you're all doing...
*formerly tersaseda*