Author Topic: months later and STILL multiple NW's  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:44 am »
yep. at least 3 NWs per night. at least.

hes 8 months old in a few days and this has been going on for months. he once sttn for about a month. no night feeds, was sleeping 11 hours wihtout a nightfeed and 12 hours with a nightfeed. He doesnt need a night feed anymore, thats been gone about a week now. but still these nightwakings are going on. theres no rhyme or reason to them. we can have the perfect day, like today 2x 1.5 hour naps and yet we just had a 10min NW at 8pm!!!

Ive increased his A time, he goes down for his naps independantly and most nights he goes to bed independantly as well so I know he can self soothe, I know he can sleep but he just wont!!!!

Im trying to stop the patting in case thats a prop so what I do is pat until he is calm and then stop. (Ive tried gradually weaning the patting and that has resulted in this, where he still needs it a little bit)he will either at that point rev back up or soothe back down to sleep. if he revs back up I keep saying the key phrase until I feel he needs some help calming down, so I pat (for literally 10 seconds because thats all it takes) and he starts going quiet and then I stop again.

He doesnt wake at any particular times, its random. His reflux is under control. he has white noise to sleep. hes not cold or hot. I cant figure this out, its doing my head in, this broken sleep is just nuts!

somebody please help???
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: months later and STILL multiple NW's
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 19:40:52 pm »
yup we get it too so I am no help but wanted to offer hugs xxxx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 19:51:44 pm »
HUGS hun :-* My little man never consistently STTN till he was over 1 :( there was always something ::)
What is his sleep needs - Is he high/average/low?
Do you think the NW could be solids related? - I know we had a lot of NW around this age when I was giving Z dinner after 5pm. When I moved it forward to 5pm he slept better.

Are the NW different every night? How does he wake...fussing/talking/crying?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 20:10:45 pm »
What sort of A is he managing now?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 20:12:54 pm »
What is his current EASY hun?  Two 90 min naps should be good, as long as the A times before bed and in the morning are appropriate...

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 22:12:30 pm »
well last night we had a NW every 2 hours until 2.30am and then he slept until 6.10am which was a 12 hour night!!!

yesterdays EASY -

awake 6.20am
nap 1 - 9.35am - 11.05am (3 hour 15min A time)
nap 2 - 2.20pm - 3.45pm ( 3 hour 15min A time)
bedtime - 6.10pm!!!! he was miserable and wasnt due to go to bed till 7pm but I couldnt deny him so I gave him a bottle and put him to bed at this time and he slept! but it was a 2.5 hour A time so perhaps his last A time is too long normally?? however we still had 4 nightwakings... so it doesnt make sense

Sara - he eats dinner at 4:30pm and ive even tried feeding him earlier for dinner. Hes never happy in the evenings. hes not currently teething.
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:49:37 am »
Crazy thought but maybe he is like my DD and is in that weird spot where he needs more day sleep and a shorter night??

We had a month or so around this age with some weird patterns and high A times to get settled sleep...

This was our day:
Wake 6am
Nap 930-11am
Nap 230-4pm
BT 8pm.

She really needed the A time before bed to settle and sleep well for the whole night... could be that DS2 is in that phase?

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:40:59 am »
no I dont feel its that, at least not that long of a day anyway. We were doing 11.5 hour nights and 12.5 hour days for a bit there but it doesnt seem to always be the case anymore. Im seriously wondering if he simply cannot shut his brain off at night. Hes constantly on the go during the day and I have people telling me that they cannot believe hes cruising the furniture at 7.5 months old (yep its true!) hes full on, hes spirited by a mile! but theres just no way I can get him to slow down.

at daycare today he did two sleeps. one was 40 mins long and the other was 30 mins long... so his day was this

6.10am awake
nap 1 9.20am - 10
nap 2 12.55 - 1.30
bedtime 5.10pm (40min nightwaking at 5.50-6.30) so definatley OT here but it doesnt explain the other days

he wouldnt take that third nap but this is what his days at daycare are like. its only two days a week but would it seriously mess things up so badly? should I be considering taking him out of daycare?? My dad thinks hes too young and its too much for him but he does love it.

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 10:27:07 am »
Your lo sounds like mine. He has frequent nw and is very active during the day. It's like at night he can't really switch off. When he wakes he'll immediately try to crawl though he's still half asleep. He's been crawling for 2 mo and cruising for about 1.5 mo. Maybe when he walks sleep will settle down. I can hope!
I'll be interested to see any advice you get. I'll try almost anything.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 20:32:03 pm »
A3 - how long is he at daycare on the days he is there? I may agree with your dad that it is far too OS for him at this age.  Even at 16 months, DD gets OS at playgroup with 4 other kids after a couple of hours time.

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 20:34:57 pm »
he's there from 8:30-2:30 on Mon and wed. the thing is that I seriously need that time away from both kids in order to just do things like groceries etc but this sucks as well.....

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 20:43:32 pm »
I know it's hard to get things done with the kids, but lots of us do it with them ;)  Me included.

I do think that he is there too long hun... could you cut it back to a couple of hours once a week to get the shopping done?

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 20:47:11 pm »
How long has he been going to daycare compared to how long the NW have been going on?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 22:32:07 pm »
Kara has a point about OS, I know a few hours at a time is all Z can handle before needing 'time out' to wind down.

In addition to KM question... What are his evenings like stimulation wise?
***Sara***

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 21:47:08 pm »
hes been going to daycare for the past two months. its not just a matter of also getting groceries and stuff done but I need a break from them both. I parent them 24/7 and its exhausting for me. I had a breakdown last year and it showed me that I needed some time to myself.

weird thing happened last night. he STTN! he did a 2 hour nap in the AM and a 35min nap in the PM and was down for bed at 6.15pm. I did hear him wake briefly twice in the night but he resettled himself within a matter of seconds.

I have noticed he does sleep better when hes done a big AM nap and a smaller PM nap. is it possible this is what he needs? i wasnt expecting to do this sort of routine for another few months, he will be 8 months old tomorrow

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 21:50:38 pm »
Of course it is possible hun!  Babies are all different ;)  If it works for him, go with it for a few days and see if it sticks :)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 21:50:57 pm »
Yey for STTN. It isn't unheard of to have that routine. Some other experts suggest one long and one short nap from early on. The only way to know is to try it again and see if you get sttn consistently. Hope you made the most of it and caught up some sleep.
I don't think the daycare needs to go. I think a happy mummy is very important for him and if he does find it OS I think he will get used to it.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 22:35:39 pm »
Hugs hun xx

I would not be cutting back daycare.  Its only 2 days a week and its only 6 hours a day.  If he were there 8-6 then maybe but i don't think 2 x 6 hour stints there will be affecting your whole week and all your nights.  I think for YOUR sake you have to work around daycare.  And even if it was causing the NWs I think you have to work with it because YOU need a break too. 

COuld daycare get him to nap a bit later for the first nap and then you could do the second nap at home?  Will he transfer from the car to the crib?  So on those days you could do short am-long pm and then at home so the reverse if that suits better?  Then least there will not be so much OT to mop up. 

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 22:40:13 pm »
As pp say if you need the break and he loves it too hen he will get used to the OS. If I was in your shoes I would need that time too, and KM is right, happy mumma means happy family ;)

re nap routine, good luck, I hope it works for him (and you) x
***Sara***

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 03:38:32 am »
I would keep the current daycare too - it's only twice a week and shouldn't be causing a whole week of weird sleep - maybe just a day...   He is old enough to adapt fairly quickly.

I would try the long and short nap idea and see what comes of it :)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 05:41:05 am »
well the same routine happened today as well. for some reason he only sleeps 35mins in teh afternoon. but he bumped his head real bad in the bath (large eggshaped lump and bruise) so sleep could be weird anyway tonight.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 08:52:26 am »
Oh no. I hope he is ok. Gd luck tonight.

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 16:55:22 pm »
another STTN! 11.5 hours!!! :D yay. now I just gotta get his bedtime to 7pm so he's up at 6:30am and not 5:50am like right now

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 16:58:42 pm »
Tippee. Stick with it. Maybe I need your routine.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 18:58:31 pm »
:D
***Sara***

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 19:20:30 pm »
so now that we have that sorted its daylight savings ending next weekend... gah thought i would at least get a couple of weeks before I would have to chagne things around lol.

thanks ladies for sticking this one out with me :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 21:16:42 pm »
Glad that you have found what works for him!  Stick with it momma!