Author Topic: frustrated with eating...  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 27, 2007, 00:29:59 am »
I have posted before but now I am really getting frustrated ??? my now 27 mo old is soooo picky with fruit and veggies.  it makes me sad at how i can't just get him to even try something.

he eats most meats--chicken, turkey, ham, beef, lunchmeat
he'll eat eggs
he eats cheese, yoghurt, drinks milk
he'll eat any carb
for fruits he will eat banana, all applesauces, occasionally apple, occasionally pear, raisins
won't eat any veggie except dry corn, occasionally peas and occasional pasta

i make cookies and breads w veggies in it and meat even  with vegg and he'll eat it

how do i try new things?  i have put them o n his plate different ways, different times and nothing.
i don't know what else to do. won't take juice. i have started a vitamin specifically for kids who don't eat f and veg.

please help.

Offline Melsy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 51
Re: frustrated with eating...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:11:38 am »
No help, just hugs!  My guy eats bananas and watermelon and corn on the cob.  No meat - except spagetti bolognaise.  I am in the process of pureeing some vege to add to the spagetti mince!  Just wanted to say that your not alone, and actually I will trade you cause my guy won't eat eggs and won't drink his milk anymore!!!

Melissa
DS#1 - Aidan born Sept 2004
DS#2 - Callum born Feb 2008
DD#1 - Eloise born Sept 2009

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSYHndn/]

zed

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:38:01 am »
not much help, just keep trying in a relaxed way.

Offline AHackney

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 15:01:19 pm »
I'm not going to be much help either but my daughter will only eat crackers and pureed baby food. she is 13 months and only has two teeth. we try to get her to try new thing, anything or that matter, and she wont. I wouldn't worry just keep trying, at least that's what my hubby and I do.

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 02:08:49 am »
 :'( :'( :'(

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 03:32:27 am »
First I just want to say that your LOs variety from what you have described is better than some "picky eaters". That being said, I can understand your concerns about his limited variety, and how it can impact the whole family when stress around meals develop!!

if your LO is an adequate weight and has an adequate appetite (for the foods he likes) then I would personally just continue to offer a large variety of foods and try to avoid offering large amounts of his "favorites" because you are worried he will not eat. Pick 3 or so foods for each "meal" that are healthy and then just let him choose what he wants to eat/not eat on his own.

You will get differing opinions on this, but personally if my LO was becoming very "picky" I would try very hard not to offer the "favorites" very frequently for a short time. I say this because often a LO who has become very picky will hold out for the "favorites" and refuse all other foods. If you limit the favorites for a week or two, and just offer new foods, most LOs will find other things they "like" and will accept. You can also try "changing" his favorites a little bit so that he gets used to changes in his food (i.e. eggs prepared different ways, unfamiliar brands/kinds of yogurt, etc...). Even changing little things like how his food is cut up, etc... can help him get used to little changes in eating.

The key really is to not make it a power struggle and to stay calm and consistent. You want your LO to understand that it is his job to decide what he eats from the choices you have provided, but it is your job to decide what his choices are. Offer the foods you have chosen, and then let him pick what he wants from those choices. I would avoid "short order cooking" or giving him a substitute food for a while even if he is whining/tantruming for it. So if you presented green beans, chicken, and bread for supper and he wants yogurt, personally my response would be a calm "these are your choices right now" and then let him have the freedom to choose. If he tantrums or refuses to eat I would certainly respect that, and end the meal. If he is hungry later you can either offer the same choices or some different choices (but not the "favorites"). That way you are setting up a healthy dynamic, where you have some responsibility in the feeding situation (namely what foods are presented, where he eats, etc...) and he has the appropriate responsibilities (namely how much he eats and what he eats from the choices provided). It is also OK to offer larger portions of the fruits/veggies and much smaller portions of the other foods for a time if this is really where your concern is. We often offer 2 veggies as an "appetizer" for every meal before the other foods are even on the table, and then during the meal offer more veggies and portions of whatever else we are eating for the meal. The most important thing is to be consistent, even if you encounter some resistance and tantrums (which you porbably will!!)

I would also personally look at his "feeding routine". I am not sure from your above post what it is, but if you have a LO who is not eating well I would make sure he is not snacking throughout the day and I would also look at when foods are presented during the day. If you are trying to extablish when to give snacks I would try to give them closer to the prior meal instead of the upcoming meal. So for example, you might give breakfast at 7:30, very small snack at 9:30, lunch at 12:00, very small snack at 2:00 before nap, and supper at 5:30 or 6:00. This way there is a bigger gap between the snack and the next meal so that your LO will be more motivated to try new things. I would also say be creative with your snacks. They don't have to be "snack foods". They can really be meal foods or anything you want!!! I would also limit milk before meals. Our LO actually only gets milk with meals and water in between, as often milk to close to meals will decrease the appetite.

I realize that to some this approach is a little too "strict", but I have found that if you really establish a good give and take with the feeding then you can have much more flexibility later on. Some would argue that you should just go with the flow as far as the "favorites" and let them eat yogurt for every meal if that is what they want for a while. I think it is a personal decision for every family. For us it was very important that we ate as a family, that we could all eat from one "meal" without having to present lots of alternate foods (expecailly since we want 4 kiddos), and that fruits and veggies were a very big portion of our son's diet (partially due to the fact that obesity runs in my DH's family). Because of this a more structured approach was the right one for our family.

Hope this was helpful in some way. Again, this advice was more geared to a LO with an adequate appetite (if only for certain foods) and a healthy weight. If your LO is really underweight that may be a different story. I was kind of guessing as far as how you are doing things now, as I wasn't sure based on your initial post, so if some of this doesn't apply to your situation then feel free to disregard
 ;). Hope you find what works for your LO and your family!!!

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 04:28:45 am »
The good news is that he eats a wide range of foods, but as you say not much fruit and vege. 

A couple of tips I've found great for DD
- cut up strips of sweet potato, potato, carrots etc and bake, then display out for everyone to pick from and have several dips.  It's novel, fun and gives them power to chose, but don't worry if he only eats the potato at first!
- make mini pizzas and make them 'in charge' of putting ingredients on the pizzas, frozen peas, bacon pieces, baked pumpkin, frozen corn and tomatoes etc are all good.
- and generally getting them involved of being a special helper in the kitchen can help their desire to try new things etc.
- I've heard getting them to help buy the foods and make lists of the fruit and veges they need can help, however I don't know if that makes a difference to DD,
- reverse psychology, a game of 'this banana is mine', then move to 'this [new fruit] is mine and make a game of him 'stealing it' from you,
- also banana or strawberry smoothies are a great way to get more fruit in them!
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 01:34:11 am »
taygensmom--thanks for the reply. yes my lo is adequate weight and his appetite for what he likes is good.  i have been trying to offer variety as you say.  for breakfast he likes cereal but we've tried waffles, buns, bagels and other things.  sometimes he'll eat it sometimes not.  i try some favourites and some veggies and fruits (which he refuses). i keep trying.  he'll sometimes drink juice (fruit and veggie mix) but not often. i just wish he would even try new fruit and veggies--even though i try he never does :(

So for ex. he hates spaghetti and meatsauce, do I just give this or give this plus something else??  what do you suggest?

i have bought different yoghourts and different crackers and cereals, he does try different things but may not like them but will at least try.  never with fruit or veg though. 

It is also OK to offer larger portions of the fruits/veggies and much smaller portions of the other foods for a time if this is really where your concern is. We often offer 2 veggies as an "appetizer" for every meal before the other foods are even on the table, and then during the meal offer more veggies and portions of whatever else we are eating for the meal.
I know he will freak if I offer more f+veg, he won't eat and go to bed without food just fine thank you (I have tried this many times before and nothing changes).

I appreciate your advice and will try and try again...i just dont' like this at all!

Sabine

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 02:52:03 am »
Well as far as foods that he "hates" like spaghetti, I would give him this plus at least one other food (just not a typical "favorite" and let him pick. The idea is that he will try new foods and expand what he likes/accepts, not that he has to eat this one specific food (i.e. spaghetti). So give him lots of choices but of new foods and let him pick and choose.

When I say offer more frutis and veggies you can still offer other choices (i.e. meats/carbs). I would just be careful not to offer so much of these other choices that he compeltely fills up on them, as he will then have no motivation to try any of the fruits/veggies. And also to keep in mind that at this age their stomachs are pretty small, so what seems like an average portion to us may be a big portion for a tiny tummy!!!

I also agree with the previous post to involve your LO in preparation of the frutis/veggies and to make it as fun as possible... Have you tried frozen veggies or other dried veggies, as opposed to cooked ones? HTH

zed

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 05:11:56 am »
taygensmom, I think your approach is bang on.

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 07:07:32 am »
Does he like peas? My DD has frozen peas as a snack (frozen or defrosted).

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 16:54:44 pm »
yes he will sometimes eat peas (sometimes)
he will sometimes eat dried cherries and dried blueberries

last night we had chicken on the bbq with couscous (new) and grilled veggies.
he ate about 3 tbsp chicken cut up no couscous no veggies, he did ask for an unsweetenend applesauce.

i have also baked cookies with carrotts and zucchini and he will eat those for snack.  i will get him to start helping me prep things.  tonight we're having beef tloin with sweetpotato and potato fries and veggies.  we'll see what he eats then.

i will keep perservering. thanks for all the suggestions. btw, do you think its alright for me to give him a supplement?  it is only one for those who don't eat f+veg so it has only vit A and C in it (nutrients he lacks with fruits/veg)?

Sabine

p.s.  thanks for all the tips again

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 06:34:19 am »
I think a vitamin supplement is OK, mostly if they have too much of one vitamin it gets excreted anyway.  I'm not sure, but I think Vitamin D is a vitamin that in excess can cause problems, really not sure, so check up on it if you are interested!

I'm not sure if your DS will go for it, but on occasion I tell my DD that it's good to try something new, and that I'd like her to try one bite of something new and then she can eat whatever she wants. I find at this age she understands and as I do it rarely it's not an issue of confrontation.   

zed

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 03:57:22 am »
Childrens vit's you don't have to worry about them having to much.  My Dr. told me to start my DS on them before 18 months even though the package said 2 and up.  She told me to cut it up so it isn't a choking hazard.

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 03:03:31 am »
okay so snack offerred fruits he tried in past (apple, pear and new one mandarin) refused all. hungry for supper.  ate peas (usually doesn't) and rice. refused meatloaf which he previously ate.

i hope tomorrow is better.