Author Topic: i need weaning advice...  (Read 1992 times)

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
i need weaning advice...
« on: May 14, 2014, 19:10:42 pm »
i just dont know what to do. DD2 is proving to be a right little missy with the bottle!!!!

in a nutshell...i have started to wean her at 6 months....i'm going very very slowly because of my mastitis and oversupply issues.
i'm starting to get really worried that she isn't getting enough. at her 6month jabs, the nurse wasn't thrilled with her weight curve and said that she *couldnt* drop down any further and needed to be holding her own when we get our 7-9 month check....so i'm in a tizzy tbh!

i swapped the afternoon feed first....that was sandwiched by 2 BFs so she never took a huge amount. last week, i swapped the 11.30am feed aswell so now she has two bottle feeds in a row & by the time we get to the 5.45pm BF, she seems to be starving....it's often quite hard to get her to sleep for her 20-30min CN at 5pm...no wonder though....

i was hoping to swap another feed (undecided yet whether it would be morning or BT feed) but i'm slow to do that when she's not happy with the bottle, kwim?

i go back to work mid-june for 2 weeks (monday ,wed, fri the first week....mon, tues, thurs, fri the second week) so i am in no huge rush to wean fully....although my initial plan would have been to wean to formula in the next few weeks. i go back to work full time in september.

our day is like this right now:
6.30am BF
11.30am bottle of BM (sometimes only 1.5 or 2 oz....i guess i should say usually, not sometimes :-\)
3pm bottle of BM (usually around 3oz :-\ :-\ :-\)
5.45pm BF
6.45pm BF
10.30pm DF (BF)

we *try* to do a solid feed after the first two feeds but she is really not keen on solids so far so i'm not getting much in   :-[

i jsut dont know what to do.  ??? ??? ???
i dont want to let her go hungry....but i feel like i am being unfair to her by not offering the BF after either of the bottles...although this has been going on since last monday so i'm not even sure that i would have enough milk...ugh....i just dont know what to do....

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: i need weaning advice...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 20:01:09 pm »
What are your options and what do you think you want to do?

Are you weaning because you want to or because the nurse has you worried about her weight?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *happy*

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 20:20:48 pm »
my options:
1. continue as i am with 2 bottle feeds & 3 BFs (i'm assuming that at soem point the cluster feed will go, as will the DF, so I'm not too bothered about swapping either of those to bottles) anyway)

2. press on with my original plan to drop another feed (i had planned to drop the BT BF so that i would be able to do BT with DD1, but I've cracked my ribs so it's agony to put her down into the cot so now I'm in two minds which one to drop!)....and hope that she somehow admits defeat to the bottle & takes enough to keep the weight up...

i had planned to start to wean at 6 months & move to formula starting to gradually introduce it at 7 months as i did with DD1.
that plan has already gone wonky!!! ;)

tbh.....i don't know what i want to do.....i dont *think* i want to keep BFing ad infinitum....but i would be quite happy not to have all the hassle of introducing formula, kwim?! i guess i don't know what i want to do now that she isn't taking much from the bottle or the spoon.....humph..sorry to be to vague.... :-\

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 20:32:07 pm »
Its okay if she isn't keen on solids yet, E is nearly 9 months and only has her oatmeal b-fast and whatever she eats via blw for supper. Milk is first and foremost until one anyways.

I weaned E onto formula super slow but she likes her bottle (Dr Browns). What type of bottle are you using?

Heidi

Offline *happy*

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 20:38:29 pm »
MAM bottles. it was the only one she would take ....we went through *loads*!!!

yeah..you're right about the solids.....i wouldn't be bothered about solids if it wasn't for her weight-issue...

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 20:46:46 pm »
Oh yeah - now I remember that about the bottle!  Honestly solids can't pack the nutritional punch bm or formula does and there is thecl chance that upping them causes her to drop her milk intake and having the reverse effect you want!
Heidi

Offline *happy*

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 20:59:46 pm »
Yeah. ..you're right...ok...no more fretting about the Solids... ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 21:13:25 pm »
Its hard I know! I remember being the same with DD2...3rd time around is way easier in the sense that I trust my gut more yk? E was super tiny but the health nurse had no worries as dh and I are small - she has chunked up a lot but is no taller so probably has skewed her chart all up!
Heidi

Offline *happy*

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 21:22:56 pm »
I just don't know what to do.
I am.*loathe* to throw any more un-drunk BM down the drain but I guess I don't really have a choice. ..

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 21:26:01 pm »
Ugh yeah that would just drive me bonkers! I could not pump much so it was precious stuff!
Heidi

Offline *happy*

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 21:54:19 pm »
Yes....These mornings I am barely getting 1.5 oz :(

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 10:41:45 am »
The only way to avoid formula is to BF until 12mo. Then you could wean straight to solids and/or cows milks.

Maybe stick with how you are for a bit until she is taking more from the bottles. As you say that is only a few ounces across two bottles  so she probably is very hungry by the BT BF.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 11:11:38 am »
she is....the poor pet.....i feel like i am being so unfair to her....but i do have to go back to work next month so she will have to do without me then during the day....ugh.....why don't babies read our memos!!!!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 19:50:25 pm »
Could you live with the two feeds on WU and BT for a bit longer if she didn't take to the bottle during the day? If she was just taking enough to see her through the day that might work.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 01:13:15 am »
Yes...I will continue as I am for the next few days and see if she takes more bottle at the weekend when  DH can feed her.she is constantly trying to feed off me when I have the bottle. The poor pet.