Author Topic: Growth spurt... no night waking?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Growth spurt... no night waking?
« on: March 21, 2006, 14:49:40 pm »
Could it be a growth spurt if my lo is not waking at night to feed?  I fed my lo this morning at 6:45 then an acorn squash cube at 8:05 (or so) and then tried for a nap at 8:45.  Nothing would settle her at 8:45 (she was yawning) so I finally fed her at 9:15.  She fed less than 10 minutes, but that's not highly unusual.  Her feeds are rarely more than 10-12 minutes (except df).  She is now settled sleeping (hopefully for more than 45 minutes, as her sister is getting restless without her Mommy time).
Could the solids she getting at dinner be enough to get her through the night?
Thanks
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Growth spurt... no night waking?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 14:52:31 pm »
Hi Rachel,

I'm not too sure what you're asking.  Has your lo recently started sleeping through and this coincided with the addition of solids?  It could be true, but I don't think that's the general rule.  I didn't notice any difference when I added solids. 
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline RachelC

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 14:55:15 pm »
No, she had been sleeping through the night before solids (although she was waking before the df and is now making it).
I know sudden irregular night wakings is usually a sign of a growth spurt.  If she's not waking at night for more feeds, can she still be going through a growth spurt?  Does that clarify it at all?
Thanks
~Rachel

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 15:01:58 pm »
I would think (and I'm not an expert by any means) that it is possible that they could sleep right through, even if going through a growth spurt.  It seems like you have a good sleeper on your hands, so she may not wake to feed.  Plus, it seems like you're really good at reading her cues and filling her with cals during the day.  If she's feeding a bit out of routine, but still sleeping through, well, that's wonderful!!!!! 

I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't develop into a habit and is rather just upping her cals during her growth spurt.

HTH

Offline RachelC

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 15:42:50 pm »
Thanks, yeah me too.  I don't want any nasty patterns developing here.  Right now she is not napping and will not calm down.
Here's another question, since she's used to eating around now would she be hungry out of habit even though I fed her 1.5 hours ago?
~Rachel 

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 15:48:06 pm »
Hmmm, these are tough questions.... especially with the threat of a growth spurt and the fact that you don't want to encourage snacking.

If it were me, I think I would feed around the same times that she normally would be fed.  That way she is sticking to routine, but just getting some extra cals.  I think, in essence, it's kinda like a cluster feed, but in the a.m.  I would just encourage her to nurse as long as she can during the regular times. 

I hope this helps.

But then again, she is your lo and you know best.  I don't want to be responsible for her developing a bad habit.  But I think that is what I would do myself.

Offline RachelC

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 16:05:31 pm »
Thanks.  I am really frustrated now.  I know this is the wrong place to vent about naps, but until last Sunday we had been getting a good solid nap in the morning and then suddenly it was back to the 45 minute naps with the fight to get back down.  This all leads back to the ignoring of dd1, who said "but I need attention" when I told her I needed to go be with Jalyn.  She used the right words and didn't act out and I was so proud of her, but I've been ignoring her now for the last 45 minutes.
I will try feeding dd2, since 11 is her usual feeding time and try to get back to the rest of the day.
~Rachel

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 16:13:46 pm »
{{hugs}} to you.

Is there anyway you can get dd1 involved in the nap process.  I only have one, so I have not faced anything like this. 

Perhaps the naps have something to do with the growth spurt?  It all happens at the same time, doesn't it?

Hang in there!!!!