Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters  (Read 74934 times)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2006, 16:05:04 pm »
joaquinsmom - if you read back to page 8 of this thread - reply 109...you will i posted the FDA min recommendation for toddlers menu...you will see it is not a lot.  Protien 3oz per day.

I found a good example of protien sources and how many grams per serving is in each (this was for an adult but is a reference):

Following is a quick reference guide for tallying up your daily protein intake:

7 grams protein in 1 ounce of cooked meat or cheese
12 grams protein in 1 cup of cooked beans
8 grams protein in 1 cup milk
3 grams protein in 1 slice of bread; ½ cup cooked pasta
2 grams protein in ½ cup cooked or 1 cup raw vegetables
6 grams protein in 1 large egg
8 grams protein in 2 tablespoons peanut butter

interesting, i guess i too can relax on the lack of meat/eggs/beans dd will eat
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 16:08:08 pm by Meg's Mom »

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2006, 17:30:01 pm »
DD is back to boycotting her usual favorites even and barely eating and crying lots at the table. Hoping mainly teeth... Have the number of a supposedly great OT to call for this issue but have her 15-month well visit tomorrow and want to discuss with Ped first and then call.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2006, 18:20:00 pm »
stacy - i am interested, what is name, where get it, etc.

karen - sorry to hear, hope those darn teeth let up soon.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2006, 18:38:52 pm »
Me too Meg. She had no teeth at 10 months. She's 15 months now and has 12 teeth... I just hope it really does ease after the teeth and I'm not only using that as an excuse...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2006, 20:27:34 pm »
Dh "forgot" top scan it - i am to remind him today (maybe i shoudl give you al lhis email address and you can n ag him too  ;))
will post when he emails it to me today.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2006, 21:41:52 pm »
Also the whole 16 ounces of milk per day, its important if possible that it is real fluid milk. It doesnt include other dairy since its important they get the vitamin D that is fortified in fluid milk.  This I never knew either!  Its says this after a year...
Stacy if it is for the Vitamin D, I can see why in Australia they don't worry about the fliud milk... ours isn't Vitamin D fortified as far as I know & also as Vitamin D is also related to sunlight exposure & since  most Australians have lots of sunlight exosure all year around it isn't an issue - we have very sunny winters here ... to a Sydney sider 3 days of no sun is depression time & people get grumpy - literally work places get lower productivity etc.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2006, 04:54:17 am »
OK i hope this works.  Dh did it in adobe so let me know if you cannot open it - i cant see anyway to copy and paste the text to another format so someone let me know if you have a clue... ;)

this is a 6 pg document from the New South Wales (St Ives branch) Early Childhood Centre
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2006, 05:20:40 am »
I was able to open and print no trouble, thanks a million deb and DH!   ;)

Offline Shayleesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2006, 16:18:04 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am not a big poster but enjoy reading about successes of everyone's picky eaters and have learned a lot just by reading the conversations - thank you - but I still have a major problem with my 14 month lo - she will not drink milk from a cup of any kind.  We have already moved past the bottle and the only time she gets one is before bed and that is also the only time she will drink her milk even though she will ask for it through sign.  I am not worried about the calcium as she eats lots of cheese and yogurt, but like Stacy we are from Alberta and my biggest concern is the vitamin D...(Stacy, read your post about 'the book' and was wondering which one it is to make sure I have it).  Any suggestions?
My daughter lives off of carbs like many other little one's and I still can't get her to eat veggies of any kind.  She likes her unsweetened apple sauce (Motts) and have had a little success with fish sticks for protein but this was short lived.  Because I am an adult picky eater, I am trying to start her off right, should I be giving a multi-vitamin or vitamin D drops?  What about easy protein options?  She is healthy and continues to gain weight, I just don't want her not getting enough of the good stuff, you know?
Any help or suggestions would be great.  Thanks everyone.
Richelle - mommy to Shaylee, wife to Kevin

Offline joaquinsmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
    • La Familia Flores Lemus
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2006, 17:54:08 pm »
Thank you so much Deb!! This will help tons! Especially with getting me to relax about the whole subject. The part where they said that no food is vital or important enough to force ds to eat it made my day  :)

Thanks!
Jennifer

Mom to Mario Joaquí­n
Born on 6/5/04

And Daniella

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2006, 17:55:54 pm »
Thanks Deb!

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2006, 18:02:00 pm »
Hi Everybody!

Deb - THANKS SO MUCH for the document!  I downloaded and read it right on the screen.  It was really informative and I especially liked that it said that it is ok for toddlers to eat just fruit if they cannot deal with veggies.  That is what I am dealing with with Lucy although she has tried peas and green beans recently.  She does not seem to like them but I keep offering them off and on so I am hoping someday she will decide veggies are yummy!

Shayleesmum - I decided to keep Lucy on bottles as that way I know she is getting the nutrition she needs from her milk.  Since she is so selective in what she eats, anything that might decrease the amount of milk she drinks freaks me out.  As it is, the maximum she would drink in a day is 16 oz. But most days she falls short of that (usually she has 12 oz.).  There is a lot of pressure to get kids off of bottles when they are one, but she does not walk around with a bottle and she does not go to sleep with a bottle so I don't why it is a problem for her to have a bottle for a few minutes a day.  She drinks water really well from a straw cup but is not too excited about milk in a straw cup although she will drink it (just a lot less).

Lucy has added a new food to her repertoire.  Yes, it is a fruit (she loves fruit), but it has a different texture so I was proud of her.  She will now eat mandarin oranges.  She LOOOOVES them!  Still no luck with protein sources though....

Offline Melsy

• Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2006, 05:33:28 am »
Thanks Deb for the info - will print it out and read it as soon as I get a chance!   :)  My info from the seminar I attended - i thought we would get all the info typed up but when I looked thru the stuff, it wasn't so i hope my scribbled notes make sense!

From the dietician: 

Keys to Menu Planning:
* Eating regularly
* Sustaining foods
*Using good fats
* High fibre foods
* Plenty of water
* Lots of exercise
* Nutritionally complete

Timing

* Bring dinner forward 1/2 hour
* Split afternoon tea into 2 parts
* Swap afternoon tea for dinner
* Smaller meals don't seem so daunting
* Adults have an apetite that can wait approx 30 mins.  Kids have 10 mins
* Have most substantial meal at greatest appetite.

*Try a new food per week
* Praise when they try something new
* Count how many different things your child ate today - if it adds up to 15, then not doing so bad. (ie. sandwich is bread, butter, spread = 3 things)

* Routine important
* Remove distractions
* Talk to your child about the food - colour, shapes, size, texture.
* eat your lunch from a lunch box.
* Involve kids in the food preparation & shopping
* Cut out pictures of foods from magazines - laminate and turn into a placemat.  Use a Whiteboard marker to mark off the placemat when your childs has tried that particular food.
*  Don't put junkfood on a pedestal.
Pre packaged foods:
Good - cheese portions, dried fruit, yoghurt, canned fruit.  Bad - puddings, fruit straps, fruit bars.

Website to check out ( I haven't looked yet) http://www.daa.asn.au

Will post more...
DS#1 - Aidan born Sept 2004
DS#2 - Callum born Feb 2008
DD#1 - Eloise born Sept 2009

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSYHndn/]

Offline Melsy

• Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2006, 05:47:15 am »
From the child Psychologist:

1)  know you're not alone, know you're doing the best you can, know it's ok to ask for help.
2)  think about your own experience and relationships, think about your own experiences around food, think about how you would like it to go ideally (best done as a couple0
3)  Work as a team, you and your partner, and other carers need to be working together.
4) Power struggles are a lose-lose situation!  want to make it win-win.  Struggles teach persistence and reduces self esteem.  * Give some power back to the child* Give choices, make plans together, involve and excite your child.
5) Timing - maybe everyone can't eat together.
6) Age appropriate food (boring is ok, substitutes are ok)
7) choose your battles (food first, manners later)
8)  Small gains are ok - a food a week is great, tasting it is good, it doesn't have to be finished!  Setbacks are expected but keep moving forward!
9) Get help!  It's ok to ask for help and to get ongoing support.  Always check out medical issues first, then look at counselling and psychological support.  Family members need to support each other, and need outside advice and support to make ongoing changes.  Set up behavioural plans, charts, strategies, changing your self talk.
10)  Organise cheer squads for you and for your child (e.g. child can phone grandma or aunty when they try a new food)

They also talked about using rewards to try new foods - NOT FOOD RELATED!  So a toy or something, that is age appropriate and fun that only comes out and the child is only allowed to play with, if they have whatever parent decides on.  So 2 bites for a turn at the toy.  Then up the stakes.  3 bites. etc.  And to start it with a food you know your child likes so they get the idea. 

Aidan and I are booked in on the 1st December for our one-on-one assessment so keep us in your minds on that day!!  Hope some of that makes sense and is helpful to anyone.  I shall report on the progress from our sessions.

Melissa.

DS#1 - Aidan born Sept 2004
DS#2 - Callum born Feb 2008
DD#1 - Eloise born Sept 2009

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSYHndn/]

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2006, 13:42:38 pm »
Hi Melissa - Thanks for the information!  And I am excited for you guys that you will have a one on one appointment on Dec. 1st!  That is great! 

So I wanted to ask you about this:

* Bring dinner forward 1/2 hour
* Split afternoon tea into 2 parts
* Swap afternoon tea for dinner

This is because I am American and we have different terms for the meals, but could you tell me what time of day these meals happen?  Like here the mid-day meal is lunch and the evening meal is dinner.  Sorry for my ignorance!!!  :-[

Do you recall what the reasoning was behind any of the meal changes listed above?  Sounds really interesting. 

Thanks so very much for sharing the information!!  :D