Author Topic: what's the scoop on organic milk?  (Read 4255 times)

Offline etmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: July 07, 2008, 17:41:14 pm »
I don't know if there is a better place to post this.  If so, it's fine to move it there.  Anyway,  I have three young boys---2 toddlers and 1 infant---and want some input on the whole regular vs. organic milk topic.  I started my oldest on regular milk for his first year of real milk experience because the organic was so much more expensive.  Then I felt guilty and heard all sorts of gross things (you know what I mean!) about regular milk so switched.  I have been able to find some places with the deals on organic milk, but then have heard that no milk has added hormones and all milk contains some. I've also read that any milk has to pass the "test" and it's the same on the shelves.  Different things are read different places.  Of course, I want to do what's best for my kids.  But at the same time I want to be wise with our money!  I am guessing even in this people will have varied positions, but am curious how different moms have dealt with this topic.  I am sure things are even different here in the US and in the UK.

Offline grahamsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 23:58:35 pm »
I've read those things too, that there isn't as much of a difference between organic and regular milk as you might think.  I guess it depends a lot on where you get the milk.  I, personally, think the organic milk tastes better than the store brand regular milk we can get here.  But my favorite is the local, non-organic, milk (and it's the cheapest!).  It really tastes good!  There are laws about things like antibiotic use in the cows, something like the cow has to be removed from the herd for a certain number of months and their milk has to test negative for antibiotics before they can be brought back.  For organic farms, the number of months is longer, a year I think. 
I don't know about the hormones.  I guess, once again, it depends on where you buy the milk.  Our local, but not organic milk, doesn't have the added hormones. 

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: what's the scoop on organic milk?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:26:36 am »
I'm not sure about this issue either, but I've read that organis milk is less mucous producing in the body than normal milk.
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:52:43 am »
I use organic milk - I've read nasty things about non-organic milk. Whatever the truth really is - I think even if there are some health benefits, some environmental advantages and a slightly nicer life for the cows then I think it's worth the extra.

Anna x
Anna x

Offline Vicku

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:55:26 am »
Agree. We also buy organic milk cos of those reasons.

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:13:38 am »
We also buy organic milk.  I switched bc of the hormones and antibiotics.  I never did research before I switched so I am curious to find out why others feel.  Ooh and does anyone know why the organic milk has a much much longer shelf life than the regular milk.

It is so much more expensive, I usually buy the store brand organic, unless others are on sale.  Today I was in Sams Club and they had stonyfield farms for $2.87, which is really cheap, it is the first time I saw it there.  I usually pay $3.69 for the store brand. 

Offline dnasya

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:43:15 am »
I am mostly concerned about the hormones so I buy milk that is rbst or rbgh free. It's cheaper than organic and a lot of the store brands or now removing hormones from their milk.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 22:10:49 pm »
I only buy organic milk (store brand at Fairway or Costco brand when there) or Farmland milk (which is a local NY dairy which doesn't use growth hormones or antibiotics. The Fairway brand is also from grass-fed cows.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 04:30:18 am »
We are getting more and more aware of the origins of our food supply, including milk, meat, grains, veggies and fruits and are trying to be more aware of the entire supply chain.  We definitely do organic and buy whatever is cheapest, but in a pinch we'll use non-organic, but hormone free milk.  Darigold is a local company that supplies our stores.  We also look for organic yogurt (I LOVE Nancy's yogurt where you can mix in as much of the fruit as you want).  DDs daycare uses the hormone free milk and yogurt as well.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline 1Girl3Boys

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 08:54:28 am »
here in the uk no animals are given artifical hormones.
With milk if a cow is give any antibiotics her milk is thrown away (or in the case of meal animals they cannot be slaughterd for human consumption ) for so many days arter the last dose as each antibiotic has a different withdrawl period. The milk is dipped by the tanker driver at each farm and the whole tank tested for a range of things inc antiboitics, as well as nutritional make up, if any are found the tanker is dumped and the indivdual samples tested, the offending farm is then identified and actions taken.
My Big Girl is 8

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 21:09:02 pm »
Wished they do that in the US...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 21:10:11 pm »
Tell me about it Casey - so frustrating! Definitely looking into organic formulas as well if/when we have another kiddo...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 04:02:33 am »
I looked for K but they were the same price for half the amount.  I just couldn't bring myself to pay that.  And, now with the cost of groceries...I feel like I'm paying organic prices for non-organic food.  Yikes!

Offline TinyBabysMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 20:05:23 pm »
Hi moms! To me, it's as much about the added nutrients as it is about the lack of toxicity. Organic foods are grown in earth with compost containing a wide variety of nutrients; regular foods are grown in earth with fertilizers containing only the nutrients it takes the PLANT to grow well.. if we're lucky. If we're not, then the food is grown in a water mixture in a greenhouse, again with only the few nutrients it takes for the PLANT to look good. Humans, unfortunately, need a wider variety of nutrients than a plant does. This is why a tomato now contains a fraction of the nutrients that it did in the 1930s and why nutritionists often say they've never met anyone who could eat the number of vegetables a day it would take to get our daily recommended intake.

Scientists are finally catching up with what seems kinda obvious. They're not saying that organic foods ARE more nutritious. Here's a short article:  http://healthandfitness.sympatico.msn.ca/How+to+Be+a+Budget+Organic/HealthyLiving/ContentPosting_P?isfa=1&newsitemid=256097&feedname=RODALE-PREVENTION&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False

Offline Vicku

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 21:18:33 pm »
Thanks TinyBabysMom, that is really interesting!