Author Topic: Almost a year old and multiple issues with solids  (Read 1099 times)

Offline mumofashie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my little froggy
Almost a year old and multiple issues with solids
« on: April 07, 2009, 19:43:43 pm »
Hiya

It's been a while since my last post - I had so much help from everyone here then and I was hoping that I'd get sound advice again.  I apologise in advance for the long post.

Last time I posted was when the lil one was around 7/8 months and all he was eating was yogurt!  Things have improved since then but not by much.  These are the issues:

- he will only eat sweet things: yogurt, cheerios, porridge with jam, bananas and other fruit - no veggie, no meat, no cheese, nothing savory AT ALL
- he takes about 5 spoons and doesn't want any more of puree food
- he doesn't like lumps in his puree and I still give him puree suitable for 4 month old

He does like finger food but again its all sweet stuff (like fruit, apple flavoured rice cakes, bread with jam)
Because he hardly eats solids, he's hungry for milk within 2 hours of his last milk feed.  So in the day, he has 5 ff (around 6oz each time) and then he wakes up screaming for milk in the night any time between 11 pm and 3 am.

The last couple of days, I've made a real effort to try and increase his solid intake to increase the time between his milk feeds to 3hours.  He cant eat a lot at one time so I've felt that I've been constantly putting him in and out of his high chair  :)  I've tried to give solids first then milk but he wont stand for it - he's a very determined character!

As far as growth and well being is concerned, he's putting on weight nicely (all that milk!) although he's so tall that you cant tell as he doesnt have an ounce of fat on him - he's what you would call long and lean.  However, he's a very busy, happy boy. 

So my questions are:

- how can I encourage him to eat savoury food?
- how can I encourage him to eat a variety of foods (he's such a fuddy duddy  :-\)?
- how do I encourage him to take less milk so he's feeding more solids?
- how long more before he sttn (he's only ever done it once!)?  Actually, I dont expect anyone to answer this one  ;)

I try not to worry and try to keep my sense of humour intact.  I am ALWAYS positive around my lil one - I tell him he's a great eater!

Thanks
Anna

Offline Tansy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: Almost a year old and multiple issues with solids
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:05:26 am »
This is difficult as he obviously has a big sweet tooth :D Maybe try giving him plain porridge without any sweetener, or plain cereal like weet bix with milk. Also you could try making plain pancakes (no sugar) and start off by adding a vegie puree to the mixture, for example zucchini with the skin taken off (so it is the same colour as the pancakes). I think you should try to be sneaky about getting more vegies in and hopefully establish some 'savoury sensations' lol ;)
Also, do you mix your purees up? My ds loved pureed carrot and apple together - it was still sweet but he was getting his vegies in.
Overall, i think you just need to stick with it and keep offering him the savoury food - maybe it will come in time