Author Topic: when to offer cow's milk during the day  (Read 972 times)

Offline mirabels mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
when to offer cow's milk during the day
« on: February 22, 2010, 00:59:23 am »
DD just turned 1.  on her birthday she refused drinking from a bottle.  so we are totally on sippys now.  she was getting 3 bottles of formula a day - 1st one was 2/3 hours after breakfast (before a.m. nap), second one was 1-2 hours after lunch (before p.m. nap), and third one was 1.5/2 hours after dinner/before bed.

do i continue to offer her milk at these times?  she seems to be drinking less milk than formula (she would take 20 oz of formula but now only 13oz or so of milk).  she gets yogurt and cheese very day.  also, if she has dinner too close to bedtime she won't drink more than 4oz of milk.  so currently she has dinner 2 hours before bed, then 6-8 oz of milk right before bed.  should i make dinner closer to bedtime, serve milk with dinner, then offer the rest of the milk right before bed?  i'm confused as to whether dinner or milk will see her through the night.

thanks!

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: when to offer cow's milk during the day
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:23:58 pm »
I just kept the cows milk at the same time as the formula feeds had been and never offered milk along with meals (except breakfast on occasion)

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: when to offer cow's milk during the day
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 21:13:56 pm »
First off, congratulations on the fact that you are off the bottles and she is drinking well from the sippy.  As you may have observed from many posts here, that is the first (and sometimes most difficult) battle.  My 28 mo DD gets a sippy with about 6-7 ounces of warm milk twice a day.  First thing in the morning when she wakes up (which she polishes off in about a minute) and then about half an hour before bed.  I have thought about the fact that the morning milk may interfere with her breakfast, but the night milk is an hour or more after dinner, so it has no affect, unless, as you point out, she eats dinner really late and wants little of her milk at night.  For us, milk is one of the few sources of either protein or hydration (DD is not a big meat eater and does not suck down juice or water during the day), so I consider milk something more than a drink, but less than food, if that makes any sense.