Author Topic: is it bad to let lo bf in between regular times  (Read 1093 times)

Offline ashtonsmummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • mom to Ashton born Oct 24 2005 Burnaby BC
is it bad to let lo bf in between regular times
« on: May 30, 2006, 21:48:36 pm »
sometimes my lo just wants a little sip or a snuggle up and to bf for a minute he has just started doing this it is not interfering in his regular bf time or his solids time. is it ok to let him is he just thirsty or should i discourage it. he is 7 months and just broke his two bottom teeth but has not been whinny

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Re: is it bad to let lo bf in between regular times
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 22:39:55 pm »
MY answer is the it is okay. I know there are others who would disagree and you are welcome to chime in your opinions as well  ;) But for us, we do and I don't have any regrets doing so.
There are times - especially when he falls or gets hurt or he gets in trouble and disciplined and then wants some hugs that he also wants a little breastmilk. For him, it is totally the comfort factor and not the actually milk at all. I think this is part of the design of breast feeding and I personally have no problems doing it.
That being said, there are times as he is getting older and he is just bored and wants to nurse that I do say no and provide something else for him to do or his sippy cup. You know your child and you know what is best for both of you!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 00:16:40 am »
I would agree with Jennifer! If it isn't interferring w/ feeds (not considered enough to make a snacker out of your lo) then why not?

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 12:55:48 pm »
You can also try cuddles and offer a sippy cup or something else for comfort.  Whatever works for you.  As long as it's not encouraging snacking.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)