Author Topic: 4 month old not sleeping at bed time 7:30 - 11:00  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Carolyn R

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nathan at 6 months
4 month old not sleeping at bed time 7:30 - 11:00
« on: January 01, 2006, 05:55:20 am »
I am frustrated that my 4 month old will not sleep at bed time from 7:30 to 10:30. He isn't upset, actually playing and happy, but why isn't he sleeping. The rest of the day he follows the 4 hour routine (it is wonderful)

I am not sure if I should just let it go, or keep on him!

Offline kirsty_167

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
happy baby
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 08:48:04 am »
Hi.....

I personaly wouldnt worry if your baby is happy enough to just lay there.If you interfere he may end up getting upset Jakob is 5 months old tomorrow and we have had sleep at bedtime issues for a couple of weeks now.He started out a month ago laying ther for 2 hours,this worried me &  i started going in,however i paid dearly as this resulted in a week of horrendous screaming at bedtime.I wish id left him as it has been hard work settling him again.now he again just lays there and talks for up to 2 hours  b4  conking out....if you had the screaming you would bless the "happy just laying there" trust me!!!

I understand how you feel though as i sit here jakob has only been asleep for an hour and its nearlydream feed time.When he lays there for so long i know he is tired and "should" be asleep but im thankful he isnt screaming now as that really was awful!!!!!!!

See how it goes.Jakob just knows he likes it when hes up and fights sleep,maybe they know its the long haul sleep and dont want to go to sleep quite yet!! I dont know if they can be that clever so young but i swear jakob does!!!!!

Good luck ...at least you have a happy baby!! :)
kirsty

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 08:55:51 am »
how much daytime sleep is he getting? how long is he awake just before bedtime?

although i think it is ok, even good,  if babies are happily playing/laying in their beds before going to sleep I  woudl think 20-30 min max for a little one, older kids can play for an hour some nights blowing off steam, but at 4 mo i do think 3 hours is a long time and it tells me that he is not tired at bedtime so i wonder what his full day looks like.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 22:52:29 pm »
That is weird, my son does the same thing at times. I also find that if I wake him it make things worse. He mostly does this when he is overtired  or has had too much sleep during the day. I also have a hard time getting him to know the difference between bedtime and nap time as he will wake an hour after laying him down for bed. Does anyone know how they know the difference? Is it after 12 hours of day time or after the required amount of day time sleep? I have also tried a different routine at night so that he can tell the difference. Like most things, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. :)

Offline juliemac

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 month old behaving the same way
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 15:08:42 pm »
hi, my baby boy is 2 months old and for the last 2 weeks won't settle between 7 and 11pm, he is a big boy 6.25kg at 8 weeks. His day time sleep is fine (1 hour in the am, about 2hrs lunch time and about 1 hour in the afternoon) although he sometimes fusses at these times aswell!! he falls asleep perfectly at 7pm after his routines feed at 5 bath at 6 and top up feed 6:30, but wakes within an hour and then cries on and off till he eventually goes to sleep between 10 and 11. He then wakes every 3 hours at night!! I am breastfeeding, tried a formula bottle at 6:30pm but he is now not taking the bottle well.... (takes an hour to give him about 60ml).... i have tried the sshhhhhhhhh method, sometimes works but most times i have to pick him up!!! any suggestions